Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network error while trying to update iPhone

Hi Everyone,

I have a macbook pro with osx 10.6.8 running iTunes 11.1.4.

I have an iphone 5 running 7.0.4

I am trying to update my phone to the latest iOS version through my computer (not enough free space on my phone to do it directly from there). Everything seems to go pretty well but after downloading the update for about 20 minutes I get a message stating "There was a problem downloading the software for the the iPhone "My Iphone". The network connection was reset.

There is nothing wrong with my network connection. I never had any issues in the last 3 years of iphone updates using my wifi connection. Everything else seems to connect just fine.

Any idea what's going on? I tried about 5 times or so, same result every time.

I thought maybe updating iTunes would help, but that's another issue entirely. Since iTune 11.1.5 came out, I tried downloading it at least 10 times as an update from "Software Update" and it will not update. I keep getting an error message saying that the download may be corrupt and cannot be verified, etc.

I was able to download the .dmg file from the itunes website, but I haven't tried installing that. If I do install that, will it just update itunes or will I wind up with two itunes files on my computer? I'm not sure I want to update anyway. Read a lot of people have issues with it. Between the software crashing and some even saying they can't link all their files and content to it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 4:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2014 11:22 PM in response to Matt Chach

Hi Matt,

You need to update iTunes to the latest version first. The latest version for OS X is 11.1.5

You can download that here if you haven't got it already: iTunes11.1.5.dmg

After that I strongly recommend that you download clear out enough space on your iPhone and update it from there. I say this because in my experience, the download on the phone is a lot smaller than downloading from iTunes. For my iPhone 4S, the download from Settings > General > Software Update was only ~245mb, while the download through iTunes was in excess of 1gb.

If you really can't clear out the space, then I recommend you download the update outside of iTunes, potentially eliminating an iTunes issue.

Direct download links for iOS 7.1: iPhone 5 (CDMA) OR iPhone 5 (GSM)

Please download the right one for you.

Hope this helps,

xeni

Network error while trying to update iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.