Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD not enough space for time machine backup?

I have a 128GB Macbook Air. When I first got it, I made a Time Machine backup of the system, but now when I go into the recovery and choose to restore from backup, it says the Macintosh HD only has 112 GB and that it's not enough space for some reason. Why would it have me do a backup that I can't Restore? I need to restore the backup.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 4:52 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2014 6:47 PM in response to JoeMusic

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Macintosh HD not enough space for time machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.