Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop Elements 12 removed pictures from iPhoto

I installed Photoshop Elements 12 then imported photos. Now iPhoto has no pictures. I have a backup on an external drive using Time Machine, but clicking "restore" did not solve the problem. Only a boundary box appears. When I scroll quickly through the pictures, I can see them, but when I stop scrolling, only a box appears. What to do?

Thanks very much

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 5:24 PM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2014 10:07 AM in response to Yeshe Zangmo

I installed Photoshop Elements 12 then imported photos

It sounds like you had Adobe Bridge move the orignal photos out of iPhoto to its own folder system. That's not how you use PSE with iPhoto.

Once you get the iPhoto library back together, either by restoring the backup copy made just before this happended or creating a new library and importing the photos Adobe Bridge moved out you can setup PSE to work within the iPhoto Library as follows:

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Screenshots are from PSE 10

Note 1: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

Note 2: editing a RAW file with either PSE or PS creates a new file which must be saved outside of iPhoto, i.e. the Desktop, and imported as a new photo into the iPhoto Library.

OT

Mar 15, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Yeshe Zangmo

Thank you "Old Toad." I appreciate knowing that I can keep using iPhoto while using PSE as an editor.

The choice of editor in my iPhoto 9.2.1 is under "Advanced."

I chose PSE it as my editor, however iPhoto editor still opens with a double click – even after restarting the program.

I tried "control click".

Then I selected "use external editor".

A duplicate file was created in iPhoto and PSE opened.

I opened the PSE Editor.

A blank window appeared. The picture I had selected in iPhoto did not open in PSE.

What step am I missing?

Thank you for your help.

Warm regards,

Zangmo

Mar 15, 2014 4:07 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you Larry,

I wish I could say that there was no effect to iPhoto when I installed PSE 12. I understand that it makes little sense. All I did was install PSE and import pictures.

It was many days after installation that I wanted to import a picture into a Word file using the media icon in Word.

When I opened the media in word, Voila!, all the boxes were blank in iPhoto. That was when I discovered the "issue".

I opened iPhoto and was unpleasantly surprised to find the thumbnails appearing as empty boxes. The photos still exist in the Pictures folder so I can recreate a new library. I don't mind TOO much. I have no explanation either.

Warm regards,

Zangmo

Photoshop Elements 12 removed pictures from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.