Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Logic Board will fit on my macbook pro

I have a 2007 17" macbook pro that I want to completely upgrade, i dont need to, I just want to for fun. But its so outdated I dont know what parts I can get that will be compatible with it. So any help would be appreciated, and if you have anymore knowledge about other parts (ram, graphics card, SSD, etc.) that would be great to along with places to get these items will be perfect.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 11:00 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2014 3:08 AM in response to Robinsonm

You can get RAM from crucial.com or macsales.com. These are two reliable vendors for Mac memory. Just enter your model info on the crucial site and it'll tell you what your options are.

For an SSD, I'd go with Crucial. You can get them from the Crucial site or from Amazon.

The graphics card is part of the motherboard. There's no upgrade.

As for swapping the motherboard... that's a can of worms. It's not just the motherboard you have to consider. The Airport card and cable may be different, along with the location of the various internal connectors. The RAM and SSD are easy upgrades. This one could be a nightmare.

Mar 15, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Robinsonm

Explore what is available from the iFixit.com and Powerbookmedic.com in terms of parts and instructions. Have no illusions about swapping in a logic board from a later non-unibody MBP. There are even subtle differences where the fastenings are located in addition to the already mentioned potential connection differences.

A good option is to try to find on e-bay a MBP of the same vintage that is being sold for parts. Bottom line is that you may be able to maximize what the MBP was originally capable of, but installing a faster CPU or GPU is not in the cards.

Ciao.

What Logic Board will fit on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.