Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell if iPhone has been hacked?

Last week I kept getting a pop-up asking me to enter in my Yahoo e-mail account password, even though I was already logged in. I didn't enter a password. Just kept hitting cancel... Today I realized that my e-mail has been sending out spam, so I changed my password. However, it's sending out spam to contacts that are in my iphone only. My address book for my Yahoo account is completely empty. There are no contacts listed. I deleted the account from my phone and plan to reinstall. Will that help? Is there something else I can do? I do not have a jailbroken phone and it's been in my posession at all times.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 11:31 PM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2014 4:19 AM in response to traceysc

There is no known malware capable of infecting an iPhone, unless it has been jailbroken. Similarly, there are no known hacks that can be applied remotely. For someone with physical access to your phone, it's another story altogether.

That said, none of this is due to malware or a hack on your phone. Your Yahoo account has been hacked. If it is continuing to happen, it has been hacked again. You need to think very carefully about how that might be happening. It could be due to a poor choice of password (too weak), or could be due to something else. For more information, see:

Someone is sending messages from my e-mail address!

Note that it doesn't matter whether you have any contacts in your Yahoo address book... a hacker can look at your sent and received e-mails found in the mailboxes on your account and build a list of addresses to spam from that. No access to your phone's address book is required.

Mar 15, 2014 5:36 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Thomas! It's just weird because not too long ago, I deleted ALL emails from my inbox, deleted items and sent items and the undeliverable receipts I'm getting are from addresses that are no longer valid, meaning that I haven't sent or received emails from them in quite some time. Also, some people that have vaild addresses haven't sent or received anything from me in quite sometime either as I don't really use the email address for personal communication. So frustrating... 😠 Again, thank you for your answer! 🙂

How to tell if iPhone has been hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.