Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with new RAM

I bought new ram for my macbook Unibody (7.1) to update from 2gb (2x1Gb) to 4gb (2x2Gb). I replaced the old ram to the new ones, but when I turn the computer on it produces five beeps and continues doing that until I turn it off. But when I put one 1gb old ram in one slot and in the other slot a 2gb new ram it works perfectly and it says that I have 3gb (that means that the computer also recognized the new ram).

The new ram came from a mac mini, and they are 1333mhrz while the old ones are 1066mhrz, but I heard that when the ram admits more speed than the slot speed they can be used with te speed from the computer (if my macbook has 1066mhrz slots, then, the 1333mhrz ram will work at 1066).

Can you help me?

MacBook, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 11:15 PM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2014 8:03 AM in response to Joacoosi

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're users here and do not speak for "Apple Inc."

Macs are notoriously 'picky' about RAM memory timing!

Although what you suggest about RAM timing might work in SOME computers, your Mac obviously does not work with the 'faster' RAM inserted in both memory slots, hence the black screen and 5 beeps.

Indeed, some sellers label faster RAM with a slower spec, and indeed some computers don't have a problem with that, but it is not true in this case.

You have several options:

1. Go back to the original 2x1GB RAM modules.

2. Use one of the 2GB with an original 1GB module for a 3GB configuration. It's still a 50% increase in available RAM for your system from 2GB. If you start getting frequent Kernel Panics, that is an indication that the faster 2GB RAM just won't work in your system.

3. Purchase two of the correct RAM modules with the proper specs. Your Unibody can hold 8GB or even 16GB if you're running OS X 10.7 or newer: http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-t hought

Crucial.com and OtherWorldComputing (www.macsales.com) are two reliable sources for Apple RAM upgrades, guaranteed to work properly.

Problems with new RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.