Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes update has my iphone 5 stuck in recovery mode

I recently installed the latest version of iTunes on my PC and then connected my iphone 5 to sync a playlist to my iphone 5.

When I connected my iphone 5 with the usb to my pc iTunes said that I needed to update the itunes software on my iphon

I followed the instructions itunes gave and clicked to install the update and during the process it put my phone in recovery mode with the itunes logo, an up arrow and the usb cord.

Now no matter what I do the phone wont go out of recovery mode. I have tried following the recovery steps by turning off the phone then holding down the wake + home buttons, then releasing the wake button when I see the silver apple while holding the home button but now itunes doesnt show that my phone is connected and its still going back to the recovery screen on the device

I get no option to recovery my phone in itunes it just goes back to the recovery screen.

I was running whatever the latest iOS is as of 3-14-14.

I really ***** that iTunes bricked my phone. I dont even care about recovery the data (even though I have backed my phone up to icloud previously) but now I cant get my phone working at all it is just stuck on the recovery screen.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 2:44 AM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2014 10:29 PM in response to oflowz

Oh wow, I'm have the situation latest version of iTunes update software got stuck in recovery mode boot load and fortunately I don't have an back data for restore. If successfully update to new version that afraid got lock iCloud Activation feature which I heard is not realizible iCloud software because they have bug on it make asking for iCloud ID/Psswd.

Saturday night at 10:27 pm of Mar 15, 2014, I'm taking an risk to restore/updating new IOS version and hope not happening to me.

Sep 2, 2014 12:39 AM in response to oflowz

Hi Guys,

After 5hrs of work last night I finally got my iPhone out of the recovery mode/DFU loop. I cannot find the discussion which helped me, but in essence:

• Connect your iPhone to iTunes - in my case iTunes did not recognise a device was connected
  • Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Lock button for around 15secs, until phone reboots
  • Release the Sleep/Lock button, but keep the Home button pressed for a few more seconds until Apple logo appears
  • Drivers will begin to be installed and iTunes will hopefully recognise your device.

Once I did this and restored my iPhone from a backup, I realised that my original iOS7 update attempt had been successful, it simply couldn't verify this with Apple due to server traffic volumes, I presume.

Hope this helps,

DK

iTunes update has my iphone 5 stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.