Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting iPhoto library as a regular folder to be opened on PC

Hi everyone!

I am wondering how to export iPhoto library to external drive as a normal folder with jpeg files to be opened also on PC (no iPhoto app). Do you have any ideas?

Cheers!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 7:58 AM

You can not us an iPhoto library on a PC - you can export the photos keeing the existing event structures for use on a PC - file menu ==> export - see the esxport options in the user tip on exporting

LN

22 replies

Dec 4, 2014 9:31 AM in response to Misia Kasia

I just wanted to add a note.

If you export with Kind=Original you retain your Created date, Modified date, Latitude and Longitude. You lose all edits and a Description field.

If you export with Kind=jpeg the Created and Modified dates are set to the export date, you lose the location data, but you retain a Description field.

This Description field is not the one you can edit in iPhoto but some other internal field. Mine has camera data in it that I never entered manually.

You can check this by taking one picture and export it both ways to your desktop and check the Get Info fields.

Dec 4, 2014 9:45 AM in response to NiaHartman

You are confusing the photo metadata with the file metadata - exporting does not ever change any photo data - when you export new information then you get a new file and it has the file metadata for the new file you created - however the photo in the file still has the original dates and other photo metadata which can be viewed using any photo software that understands EXIF and IPTC data (virtually all photo software)

LN

Dec 4, 2014 10:55 AM in response to NiaHartman

If you export with Kind=Original you retain your Created date, Modified date, Latitude and Longitude. You lose all edits and a Description field.

That's what the Original means. No added metadata, no edits.

If you export with Kind=jpeg the Created and Modified dates are set to the export date, you lose the location data, but you retain a Description field.

The Created and Modified dates are correct for that file. There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto to the Finder new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export.

However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photo has the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

Also you don't lose any metadata - including the location material - if you choose the correct export settings

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

You can check this by taking one picture and export it both ways to your desktop and check the Get Info fields.

The Get Info facility in the Finder refers only to File Metadata and not to the Photo metadata at all.

Dec 4, 2014 12:55 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for all the info. I especially liked you link to Doc-4921.

Very informative. I wish it was in a iPhoto manual somewhere.

I do think there needs to be more info for the original question.

When I want to use photos on a PC I like having the original dates on the file.

Since you don't need a photo app on a PC to view a pic or add it to an email or manually maintain a library it is horrible when all your photos have the same date.

Since we can export files with the Title used as the filename.

Wouldn't it be a cool option to export files with the new file CreatedDate equal to the old file CreatedDate?

Dec 4, 2014 1:13 PM in response to NiaHartman

When I want to use photos on a PC I like having the original dates on the file.

Right, but again, you're confusing the file with the photo and sooner or later - probably when you upgrade to a new machine - all that will be lost.

Since you don't need a photo app on a PC to view a pic or add it to an email or manually maintain a library it is horrible when all your photos have the same date.

You don't need one on your Mac either. You can view a pic or add it to an email or manually maintain a library in the Finder. But if that's what you want, why are you using a database designed for non-destructive ending and photo management?

Wouldn't it be a cool option to export files with the new file CreatedDate equal to the old file CreatedDate?

No, and I'll tell you why. We've been using computers since the 1980s that have been built on a metaphor. The file=your data. So, that word file is your novel. That Jpeg is your Photo. But this is very limited and now that computers are much more powerful they an leverage the data - which, after all is the interesting. The file is just a box, the data inside is what's important. More and more apps on more and more OSes are moving to the data model. Your system of working with files is dying and soon will be obsolete.

That said there are utilities you can buy that will manipulate file data. For instance

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

Dec 4, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Yer_Man

Please stop telling me that I am confusing the two.

For 30+ years I have been organizing my photos by their file name in dos and windows explorer. I have moved them to several PCs, CDs, and DVDs through the years and never lost the info. I moved to MAC and then lost all the file/folder/date structure (without warning or choice) and I am required to use a photo app that looks inside the file to organize my pictures. I understand it now but for those specifically wanting to move photos to a PC (as in this question) they might want to know which way to retain the "shell" information as well as their photos.

Dec 4, 2014 4:12 PM in response to NiaHartman

Please stop telling me that I am confusing the two

Case in point:

For 30+ years I have been organizing my photos by their file name in dos and windows explorer.

No, you've been organising your files by their file name. Like organising a shoe shop around the boxes and not the shoes. But as long as you fail to grasp the distinction you will have problems.

I moved to MAC and then lost all the file/folder/date structure (without warning or choice)

Sorry but that's user error. You didn't know what you were doing and made guesses. But you had loads of choices - including organisating as you were used to but you didn't know enough about your new Mac to exercise those choices. and - somehow - that's someone else's fault?

and I am required to use a photo app that looks inside the file to organize my pictures.

No you are not required to do any such thing. There is no rule or requirement anywhere that says you had to use iPhoto. You can use the Finder or any other app that runs on your Mac.

exporting iPhoto library as a regular folder to be opened on PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.