Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone battery life: cellular data makes all the difference, control center button is needed

Battery life is the only major problem with my iPhone 5, os 7.x. It is really pathetic that it does not last a whole working day, even with light use.

I tried absolutely everything suggested by apple and forums to increase battery life, to no avail. But when I went on holiday, I switched off cellular data, left everything else enabled - including bluetooth and wifi, and the battery was lasting for days! Literally, all that crap about closing apps, reducing brightness, resetting your phone etc is a drop in the ocean in comparison to turning off cellular data. I have noticed that the massive drain increases even more when going through areas of patchy and low signal - yesterday half my battery went in a couple of hours when driving through some remote countryside - I wasn't even touching it!

Nowadays I turn off cellular data to preserve battery life as much as possible. But it is a drag because you have to go through several windows to the settings - from an open app it takes at least 6 actions to turn off cellular data and return to the app - more if you have a different settings page open in memory.

So surely Apple needs to put a button to toggle cellular data on / off in Control Center? This would make a dramatic improvement to the phone's functional battery life, not to mention the usefulness for users who have very limitied cellular data allowances from their service providers.

Is anyone else with me on this?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 5:24 AM

13 replies

Mar 15, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Torrom

What is your technical support question for us, your fellow users?

Apple is not here.

Polling is not permitted per the terms of use of these forms.

Feedback can be left here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

In my opinion, turning off features of a smartphone to save battery on a regular basis is silly. If it cannot meet your needs for battery life, find another option. I'm a fairly heavy user of my iPhone, have been for years and the 5 has the best battery life of any of the previous generations I've had. I have a Mophie Juice pack and chargers at work and in the car because I know otherwise it will not last through a full day with my usage.

Mar 16, 2014 10:15 AM in response to diesel vdub

This is a question of a functional oversight or restriction by Apple. Apple themselves advise owners to turn off unused features as well as a host of "silly" things like going through your apps one by one to close them - an onerous and useless pursuit. But I think spending another 100 bucks on a battery case is not a reasonable solution when a simple change in functionality would greatly improve the way users manage battery life.

I spent hours trawling through these forums looking for help in improving battery life, and there are myriad threads offering advice - but having gone through absolutely everything, I found that no step came close to the effectiveness of turning off cellular data. I started this discussion to hear the opinions of other users, whether this is the source of this problem or if I am alone in finding this to be the case. Other users with a similar problem may benefit from the thread, and not have to spend extra money on a third party solution.

Dec 25, 2014 2:37 AM in response to Torrom

I have the same issue on my iphone 5.

When i turn cellular data off it lasts for days even with heavy use such as gaming & music.

As soon as i turn on cellular data for youtube or online gaming, battery life becomes an issue and it drains at ~ 1% - 1.5% per minute.

This morning i played 8 ball pool online for about 20 minutes. my battery dropped from 65% to 48%.

Some of my friends have iphones 4S and 5 and they experience the exact same thing. They sold their iphones and got samsung galaxy S4 or S3 just to enjoy 3G cellular data without the fear of battery drain.

I like apple products but I can't use cellular data without a cable close by.

Is there a fix for this issue or do I just need to start thinking about an android device instead?

Dec 26, 2014 12:24 AM in response to diesel vdub

I have also owned a motorola razr m, and i have played 8 ball pool online for like 2 hours and my phone would be at 65% from full charge.

I have already tested the same game but offline mode on the iphone 5. The result was very satisfying. I played for one hour and my battery percentage dropped by 6%. I have also tested asphalt 8 offline (CPU intensive), i could play for hours and my battery would be at ~70% from full charge.

It seems to me CPU intensive apps are not the problem and cellular data is the only factor after days of extended testing, restores, configs so on and so forth.

I think the iphone is a great product but if someone told me I can't play more than one hour of online gaming without charging I would not have bought it.

Dec 26, 2014 5:17 PM in response to uzer ex

Again, Cellular Data being on is not the issue. The issue is something on your device that is actively using cellular data, likely those games.

Restore the device as new, reinstall all apps but those games, leave cellular data on and use the device for a few days or a week. I suspect you'll find that the issue goes away. Once that has been proven, reinstall one game, again, I suspect you'll quickly find out that the game is the culprit.

Jan 30, 2015 9:59 AM in response to ARGMAN

ARGMAN wrote:

"Apple needs to put a button to toggle cellular data on / off in Control Center?"

I waited for ages to find someone who actually believe this is crucial! Thank you! (My better suggestion is to let the user decide how to customize those toggles)

let's scream together: APPLE!!!!!

Scream elsewhere. As already stated, this forum is not for providing feedback about desired options to Apple, nor is it for gathering opinions from other users.

Go to www.apple.com/feedback and provide your suggestion to Apple. Apple does not monitor these forums for feedback, so posting here is a waste of your time if your intention is to 'add your voice' and make Apple aware of your desires as a customer.

Jan 30, 2015 10:20 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Actually, (and I quote Siri): I am entitled to my own opinion.

The feedback I want is sent long back ago, and it won't make any difference to Apple because it is a singular attempt.

Perhaps this also will not make any difference, but expressing what we want is never a crime. So, no, I am gonna scream "here" for the occasion of finding someone who feels what I feel.

Jan 31, 2015 5:09 AM in response to ARGMAN

ARGMAN wrote:

Actually, (and I quote Siri): I am entitled to my own opinion.

The feedback I want is sent long back ago, and it won't make any difference to Apple because it is a singular attempt.

Perhaps this also will not make any difference, but expressing what we want is never a crime. So, no, I am gonna scream "here" for the occasion of finding someone who feels what I feel.

Once again; this forum is for user-to-user technical assistance. It is not for providing feedback to Apple. Per the terms of use, Apple doesn't monitor these forums for feedback. If you want Apple to implement a feature, contact them.

You're welcome to your own opinion. But on a privately owned forum, such as this, the owners & operators of the forum have a right to restrict discussion to relevant topics. Giving feedback to Apple or expressing your opinion is not relevant.

Do you have a technical question? If so, post it. If not, then save your time.

Apr 16, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Torrom

Some replies have said that "cellular data is not the issue," but I can report that I have toggled many different options in the hope of diminishing battery drain, and none have had as dramatic an impact as simply switching cellular data off when not needed.

My ipad on ios 8 was losing an average of 1.5% charge per hour on standby, but when I turned off cellular data the standby loss immediately dropped to .2% per hour (i.e. 87% less drainage), and stayed there . Of course different activities will eat up more or less battery- my numbers have only to do with baseline battery wastage when dormant (i.e. overnight).

iPhone battery life: cellular data makes all the difference, control center button is needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.