Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop asking password for external

I have a hard disk connected with encrypted partitions, which I use for back-up purposes. However, everytime I boot up my Mac, it asks me for the password to unlock them. I don't want to unlock them, and will do that manually when needed. Can I prevent OS X from asking me for the password every single time? It really annoys me to press 'cancel' so often...

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 7:05 AM

1 reply

Mar 15, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Nijntje

I know of no way to suppress automounting of Core Storage volumes selectively. The fstab(5) mechanism doesn't work. You may be able to prevent all such volumes from automounting by deleting or commenting out the "LaunchEvents" key in this file:

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.corestorage.corestoraged.plist

I haven't tested this hack, I advise against it, and that's all I have to say about it. Please don't ask me for an explanation or for help if it doesn't work or has unexpected effects. The internals of Core Storage are not publicly documented.

Stop asking password for external

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.