Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won't mirror to my Apple TV they both have the updated software.

I have updated both my Apple TV and iMac, and now I am not able to mirror my iMac. It will mirror all of my iOS devices. Please help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 9:09 AM

not all macs have the hardware required to do airplay mirror read more here

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

27 replies

Mar 15, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Rudegar

It does. I have been using this feature up until last night when I updated my Apple TV. Now every time I click on the Mirror iMac on the drop down menu it just goes back to the Extend Desktop option which also is not working. My TV is just a blank screen, but the audio is coming out of my TV speakers. On a side note, it will work if I use AirPlay to watch a movie from iTunes. Maybe it's just a weird glitch with the new software that will get worked out hopefully.

Mar 15, 2014 9:08 PM in response to tjsanders02

I am having exactly the same problem. It will connect to my itunes library no worries, I can connect my IOS devices fine... the bloody thing stays on 'extend' yet it will not actually extend. MY Imac is MId 2011 and is supposed to work ok.

Mavericks reminds me of the old days of using a PC, when you plugged something new in, it took you a month to actually get it working. Since upgrading, my email doesnt work properly, my whole system will not actually shut down - there are just so many bugs its crazy.

Mar 20, 2014 1:43 AM in response to ian.mont

ian.mont wrote:

I am having exactly the same problem. It will connect to my itunes library no worries, I can connect my IOS devices fine... the bloody thing stays on 'extend' yet it will not actually extend. MY Imac is MId 2011 and is supposed to work ok.

Mavericks reminds me of the old days of using a PC, when you plugged something new in, it took you a month to actually get it working. Since upgrading, my email doesnt work properly, my whole system will not actually shut down - there are just so many bugs its crazy.

I too have this issue. It is doing exactly has what is being described here. Worked fine until the update but stays on "Extend Desktop" and won't let you select "Mirror iMac" and the desktop doesn't actually extend ether. It is just a black screen. As others stated this worked fine before the update but, I can't say if it was the OSX update or the ATV update that has caused this. This is a new iMac just purchased fall of 2013 and like stated this worked fine until I did updates. I just hope this is just a whoops error and Apple rolls out a bug fix soon for this.

Jun 6, 2014 12:08 PM in response to tjsanders02

JUST FIXED IT!!

thanks juann1983 for reminding me this was an unsolved issue at my house. did some digging and looks like there were a lot of other people with this issue that were showing up on the forums finally. someone else found this answer so i don't want to take their credit, but it worked for me and lots of other people, so hopefully this solves everyones problems...

copythat23

TS4215 Re: Airplay won't change to mirror iMac from Extend Desktop

Apr 22, 2014 10:40 AM (in response to Siberiankj)

I GOT IT!!!

For all of you out there that have not installed AIRparrot here is the fix.

Applications>Utilites>Uninstall Air Display

Let your computer restart and that should be it. Im not sure what caused the problem but this sure fixes it.

Message me if you have any further questions

My iMac won't mirror to my Apple TV they both have the updated software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.