Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro slow

My MacBook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) is acting strange. I bought it almost a year ago, (it is the Non retina) and I bought it new from Peach Mac (not sure if there are peach mac stores anywhere else but Georgia...it is an authorized apple retailer I believe.) anyway here's the problem:

• Loud fan/Hard drive that is audible immediately upon start up
  • Longer than usual boot time
  • A lot more occurrences of the "pinwheel" thing ( rainbow pinwheel that means 'hold on...I'm working on it')

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

I'm running the latest version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks (specifically OS X 10.9.2) and I have a 750GB HDD (of which I am using roughly 150-170GB) and I have 8GB RAM.

I'm growing concerned because this computer is still relatively new. My old MacBook (MacBook4,1) started showing the same signs (for lack of a better word) at about 3 years of age (about 2011, it was purchased in 2008). I will include the complete computer specifications from System Information.

I thought maybe it is because its getting over heated (I play Call of Duty 2 on my MBP a lot, and I only noticed an increase in disk/fan noise (I don't know which one it is), after about 4 months of having that game; I play a lot of servers with mods if that helps, but I do not run a server off of this computer, or at all), so I would quit the game, and let it cool off, but I would still notice the noise. I also have let it sit over night, turned completely off, and I have just booted it up (it was booted down at about 0230h and it is now 1354h when it was booted up, in military time) but I still hear the noise.

Also, if there are any solutions that do not require sending the computer to be fixed at a store, that is preferable, as I am in High School and taking American Lit and reading a book with a paper due in a few weeks. And I'm so fed up with MS Windows I am only using OS X and iOS (hehehe), so I refuse to use Windows 😝 but any solutions that you all come up with are greatly appreciated!! I have my computer backed up almost weekly on an External Drive (I sometimes miss a few weeks, but its mostly consistent)

Finally, my apologies if this is already posted somewhere else.

-Andrew S.

(Here is a screen-shot of the Hardware Specs from System Information. I thought I would be able to upload a complete saved version but I don't know how to do that on these forums)

<Personal Information Edited By Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 11:11 AM

10 replies

Apr 7, 2014 1:01 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

i have also noticed that when my computer gets to the home screen, i press command spacebar and go to spotlight, and it says indexing. this is when i've noticed it is especiallly slow. the MBP is not slow any time, other than those first five or so minutes of booting up for the day. as soon as it is done indexing it runs fine. i have just booted up today, and i let it index before going to application. previously, i would get to the home screen and click on safari and it would bounce about 10-25 times before it opened, and then the little pinwheel/beachball would spin and then it would work. today, i let it index completely, and then i clicked on safari and it popped right up.

MacBook Pro slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.