Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iCloud to free up memory space on my Iphone

Hi,

I have a 16gb iPhone 5 which has all of its memory space now used up with photos, apps, music etc.

I want to free up space - without resorting to deleting anything.

I contacted apple who said that i needed to buy more space in icloud which would alow me to free up space on my phone.

How can this be done? I have 25gb of iCloud space now that i am happy to use up.

Thanks in advance 🙂

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 12:21 PM

Either you misunderstood or Apple did. Icloud is intended for backup and sync. It is not the storage that would allow to free up space. By the way - as far as I know there is no backups that allow to do stuff, without restoring or deleting.

5 replies

Mar 16, 2014 3:44 AM in response to fromsouth

Thanks you for your help.

It looks like I did misunderstand iCloud and after trawling through multiple forums I now understand that in order to create space on an iPhone, i need to physically remove it from the device rather than use iCloud.

If I am honest, the staff at Apple were very misleading though just palming me off to buy more storage.

I Still don't really understand the prupose of iCloud, and why i would need to buy more storage, and after looking through forums on here, I'm joined by hudereds more people. I find it great for automatic synicing (of photos, contacts etc) but I am completely lost as to why more stoarge is required if it is just a instantaneous syncing device?

Mar 16, 2014 6:40 AM in response to KJGreen

Full answer to your excellent question(why buy more storage in icloud or if I even need it? and BTW you do not need extra storage, you already got more then you can use) is going to take more then five minutes of typing, will have to wait when I do have time, sorry. But for now look over that article it gives alternatives to buying icloud storage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4847

Your situation is different - no buying storage is going to help. You really need to learn to manage existing storage on the phone. Unfortunately Apple has no specific article for that that I know of.

How to use iCloud to free up memory space on my Iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.