Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ipad is stuck in headphone mode and only has sound from one ear.

I've tried everything with my just out of warranty Ipad 4

Can't get it out of headphone mode, and sound is distorted out of one ear, and barely audible in the other ear when using headphones.

Have tried the following..

• Plugging headphones in and out
  • Reseting in all manner of speaking (normal boot, power on and off, reset all settings, resetted to factory defaults)
  • Used compressed air
  • Tried an earbud with rubbing alcohol
  • Sucked on the headphone socket
  • Taken it into Apples UK flagship store (covent garden), to be told by a 'genius' that he doesn't know exactly what the problem is, and all I have to pay is, (his words), 'just £250' to replace the faulty unit that is only a couple of months over a year old. This same guy also told me that he didn't think this was a common problem, even though there are hundreds of posts on this community about being stuck in headphones mode..

Kind of at a loose end now. I'm really annoyed othat a piece of equipment that has been treated so carefully now has a major problem with it.

Any other suggestions?

I can't believe Apple won't even try to repair the device, it's £250 for a whole new unit, or nothing. What a crap throw away culture we live in.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 1:06 PM

2 replies

Mar 15, 2014 3:57 PM in response to vicman..

Don't think you really read the post through. Headphones are not the problem here..

It's the output on the Ipad, either it's dirty or some internal sensor or switch is stuck? I don't know, but I know it was working one day, and then it wasn't the next. It hasn't been dropped or misused, it was safely in my bag which has a padded section for the Ipad. I've tried with many different headphones and leads into other equipment.

Just wondering if someone had any tips other than the ones I mentioned in my original post?

My Ipad is stuck in headphone mode and only has sound from one ear.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.