Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Time Machine to back up my iPhoto library only?

Hi there,

I currently use Time Machine for a a complete back up onto an EHD. Can I set up TM to back up my Iphoto Library and any incremental changes only onto a 2nd EHD. I will need to remove some photos from Iphoto to free up space and this the 2nd EHD will act as a second back up.

Thanks.

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 1:18 PM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Josipa

Yes. What you'd have to do is add all of the folders on your hard drive except the Pictures folder to the Exclude window in Time Machine preferences. That would include those in this screenshot (again except for the Pictures folder)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

However, if you have any files that are important you should include them in the backup.

OT

Oct 16, 2014 9:46 PM in response to Moonfruit.7212

Moonfruit.7212 wrote:

Allan. your reply finally makes sense of my photo library disappearing when my desktop HD crashed. I remain confused over how to protect my extensive photo library in the future. Any words of wisdom? Thanks. JB

Yes - make sure your backup drive is 2 1/2 times the size of your main drive or larger

And understand that it is not an archive system but a backup system

LN

Can I use Time Machine to back up my iPhoto library only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.