Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina MacBook Pro is not connecting with Airport Extreme 5 GHz signal

I believe I have done my due diligence to find the answer to my question here and other places but I must be missing it. I have a Retina MacBook Pro that as far as I know should select the 5 GHz signal from my Airport Extreme (Generation 1 with 7.6.4 firmware) which is literally 3 ft. from my computer. When I click on the Airport icon in the menu bar, it is indicating a 2.4 GHz connection. I have looked at discussions which say I can give separate names to to both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals. I can't seem to find that. I also read where you can reorder the order of signal preference. I can't seem to find that either. Interestingly, I have an Airport Express that is extending the network. When option clicking on its icon in airport utility, I can see both the 2.4 and 5 GHz information. I don't se that in the Airport Extreme. I am thinking about gettng the newest Airport Extreme but if I don't need to...

Thanks for any help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 1:50 PM

as far as I know should select the 5 GHz signal from my Airport Extreme (Generation 1 with 7.6.4 firmware) which is literally 3 ft. from my computer

A Generation 1 AirPort Extreme is not a simultaneous dual band wireless router. It can produce either a 2.4 GHz....or....a 5 GHz wireless network signal, but not both simultaneously.

If you want the Gen 1 Extreme to produce and deliver a 5 GHz wireless network, it can do so, but any 2.4 GHz devices that you have will not be able to connect to the 5 GHz signal.

A new simultaneous dual band AirPort Extreme will produce both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal simultaneously. Wireless devices will automatically connect to the best signal quality based on their capabilities and location in relation to the AirPort Extreme.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2014 1:50 PM in response to smes

as far as I know should select the 5 GHz signal from my Airport Extreme (Generation 1 with 7.6.4 firmware) which is literally 3 ft. from my computer

A Generation 1 AirPort Extreme is not a simultaneous dual band wireless router. It can produce either a 2.4 GHz....or....a 5 GHz wireless network signal, but not both simultaneously.

If you want the Gen 1 Extreme to produce and deliver a 5 GHz wireless network, it can do so, but any 2.4 GHz devices that you have will not be able to connect to the 5 GHz signal.

A new simultaneous dual band AirPort Extreme will produce both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signal simultaneously. Wireless devices will automatically connect to the best signal quality based on their capabilities and location in relation to the AirPort Extreme.

Retina MacBook Pro is not connecting with Airport Extreme 5 GHz signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.