Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook with horrible noise issues when connected to power

Hi all,

Before I get into this, let me just say that my Early 2011 MBP 15" has had a good life, and may have suffered a couple too many drops over time!

I have tried to research this topic as much as I can, but now need to ask in regards to my specific situation.

The main problem is when connecting the magsafe power, any audio output emits an absolutely horrid buzzing (earth) noise. Now before you jump to any conclusions, from my research I can tell you the following points:

- It is not the charger itself. I recently purchased a new genuine charger (with 3 pins) and have the same problem.

- It is not the power in my building. It happens wherever I go.

- Volume control does not effect the level of the noise.

- The noise generally does not come through the internal speakers (though sometimes has) - however, ocassionally when playing sounds such as system sounds, the speakers will click mid-sound and the sound will stop. Playing music for example through iTunes is fine though.

- It is not only coming out of the headphone output, but the output of ANY other audio device attached. I also use a firewire audio interface and the buzzing also comes through that. There is a buzzing sound also evident on any input channels when recording through the interface while the charger is connected.

- Certain operations throught the Macbook will make the noise fluctuate.

After doing some research, I found out about the grounding pins on the main board that are supposed to come in contact with the bottom plate of the Macbook. Taking a look at these (there are many - maybe around 10?) - one of them that is situated above a USB input is damaged and has been pushed in - therefore will not come in contact with the bottom plate.

So I guess my questions are:

- Is this broken pin likely to be the cause of the problem?

- If so, is it an expensive fix?

I'm sure that Apple repairs would be a costly experience, I'm just trying to weigh up if its worth forking out for the repair or now may be the time to take advantage of upgrading.

Thank you all for your time!

Dylan

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 4:58 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2014 5:08 PM in response to DylanWesley

DylanWesley wrote:

- It is not the charger itself. I recently purchased a new genuine charger (with 3 pins) and have the same problem.

Just that you know, there are 5 pins in the connection between the power adapter and the MBP.

Since this phenomenon is always prevalent, I suggest an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation. You will be told what any repair costs may be and then make an informed decision.

You might try SMC and PRAM resets:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

You could also run an Apple Hardware Test and see if that will provide any clues:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Ciao.

Mar 15, 2014 5:32 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thankyou for the speedy reply OGELTHORPE.

What I meant by '3 pins' was that there is a ground pin on the power adapter, not the magsafe adapter (some other users on this forum reported using 2 pin power adapter without ground pin).

I was unaware that Apple Genuis Bar will do a free assessment, I may explore this option later today.

In the meantime, I will also check out the other options you have given me, and I will report back with any answers.

Thanks once again.

Dylan

Macbook with horrible noise issues when connected to power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.