Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading then cloning. (2 separate MacBookPro versions

Hi,

I have two computers, I am the user of the Mac Book Pro Version OS X 10.6.8 and theMac Book Pro Version 10.8.5 is under my husbands name that I want to change to mine. Basically he's giving me his computer because my 10.6.8 might fail as it's from 2008.

I want to clone both as bootable drives. Before that I was thinking of upgrading to Maverick. I have never cloned before and a little hesitant. I have a back up (Time Machine) of the 10.6.8 but not the 10.8.5.

What I want to do after I clone the two and maybe upgrade if that's a good idea, is transfer all my data from the 10.6.8 to the 10.8.5 but not the entire operating system because the 10.8.5 is a new computer (early 2013) and has newer software applications that inclue the Adobe Creative Suite. My 10.6.8 includes the normal Adobe Suite.

This is all new to me as I've never upgraded and never cloned before.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Also MacBook Pro 10.8.5

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 12:13 AM

One suggestion is to do your cloning before you upgrade to Mavericks. That way you can easily go back if you need to. If you don't have that clone and want to go back, you have to reinstall everything from scratch. The cloning process is very easy. Use Carbon Copy Cloner, since it will also copy your Recovery partition. Super Duper is free, but it doesn't copy the Recovery partition.

The cloning is a good idea anyway, as it's not wise to trust just one backup. Time Machine is great, but what happens if that drive fails at the same time as your computer? I know it sounds unlikely, but it happens. These forums are full of "Help! I lost all my stuff!" posts.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2014 12:13 AM in response to Gesua Galante

One suggestion is to do your cloning before you upgrade to Mavericks. That way you can easily go back if you need to. If you don't have that clone and want to go back, you have to reinstall everything from scratch. The cloning process is very easy. Use Carbon Copy Cloner, since it will also copy your Recovery partition. Super Duper is free, but it doesn't copy the Recovery partition.

The cloning is a good idea anyway, as it's not wise to trust just one backup. Time Machine is great, but what happens if that drive fails at the same time as your computer? I know it sounds unlikely, but it happens. These forums are full of "Help! I lost all my stuff!" posts.

Mar 16, 2014 9:00 AM in response to Gesua Galante

Dear BobRz,

Thank you I will start cloning today and then do the updates to Maverick after.

One more question however, when I clone the 10.6.8 and then boot it up on the 10.8.5 will I have any issues with applications like Photoshop CS3? When I update my 10.6.8 will that affect all my Adobe applications? I may not need them since I'll have the Adobe Creative Cloud on the 10.8.5.

Thank you again for your help with cloning.

Mar 16, 2014 11:59 AM in response to Gesua Galante

Gesua,

I'm a little confused about what you're doing. Are you going to try to copy the 10.6.8 machine to the 10.8.5 machine?

If that's the case, use Migration Assistant to get all your stuff over to the new machine. It's in Applications / Utilities. That will bring over all your files and programs and the newer machine will have all of your stuff on it. I think you'll end up with both versions of Adobe on there, but I'm not positive about that. It's a good reason to have the clones first.

Mar 16, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Gesua Galante

Hi BobRz,

I'm sorry I'm confusing myself!

If there was a way that I could transfer Adobe CS3 to the new

Mac I would like that that. But I mostly want all the data and files from my

older Mac to the newer Mac. I will try your suggestion. I of course

want to keep all the newer software already on the 10.8.5.

Once I finish cloning (which is doing great right now) then I'll

upgrade the 10.6.8 and then transfer the files. Whew!

The main reason why I'm transferring from the older Mac is that it's

6 years old and the screen is going to go soon it has been flickering on and off. I don't know

if the upgrade will fix that. The harddrive is only a year old however.

Thank you again for your easy to follow help, you've de-stressed me!

G. G.

Mar 16, 2014 5:12 PM in response to Gesua Galante

Upgrading the 10.6.8 machine won't fix the flickering. That's most likely caused by a bad internal cable. It's possible to fix that, but it's a pretty involved job. I don't know if this is your exact model, but this will give you an idea what's involved:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+2+Duo+Models+A1226+and+A126 0+Display+Data+Cable+Replacement/1312

So what you'll want to do is connect the clone of your 10.6.8 MBP to the newer one, then run Migration Assistant. It'll give you the option of what you want to bring over. Keep in mind that what it brings over as far as documents and settings is going to be under your user name.

Mar 16, 2014 6:58 PM in response to BobRz

Hi BobRz,

Thank you for the link. I will check into that.

I have been trying to boot up the clone of my 10.6.8 onto the 10.8.5 and nothing is happening. Just the grey screen with the apple. I verified the boot on my other computer and it looked okay. I'll keep trying.

Once I get that happening hopefully, and perform the migration to bring over my data to the 10.8.5 should I clone the 10.8.5 and then after that clone do the upgrade to Maverick? Should I then clone the upgraded version?

Thanks for all your help.

Mar 17, 2014 3:23 AM in response to Gesua Galante

Gesua,

Here's the deal... you say you're trying to boot the clone onto the 10.8.5 and nothing is happening. It won't. 10.6.8 is an older version of OS X that's probably not going to work on the newer machine. That's why you want to bring your stuff over with Migration Assistant. So here's the steps.

1. Clone the old machine.

2. Run Migration Assistant to bring your stuff from the old machine to the new one.

3. If you now clone the new machine, it's a backup. Save your old clones in case there's a problem.

At that point you should have your stuff on the new machine under your login name. Now you can upgrade to Mavericks if you want to.

Mar 17, 2014 7:28 AM in response to BobRz

Hi BobRz,

Thank you.

Can you tell me if I run the Migration Assistant to the new computer, ( again it's my husbands computer and he is the current user) can I add myself as an additional user and perform the Migration process....I think I'm understanding that. What I'm doing now is making room on his computer as he has 238 GB available (he has

a 500 GB drive) for my data including iTunes and iPhoto. I'm going to fix my older computer and use it so I have a computer to boot up my clone and other similar clones.

I appreciate your help and quick reply on this as I'm so focused on getting to the new computer, archive and fix my old computer.

Mar 17, 2014 7:32 AM in response to Gesua Galante

Gesua Galante wrote:

Hi BobRz,

Thank you for the link. I will check into that.

I have been trying to boot up the clone of my 10.6.8 onto the 10.8.5 and nothing is happening. Just the grey screen with the apple. I verified the boot on my other computer and it looked okay. I'll keep trying.

And you will never succeed in booting a Mac with an operating system that predates it.

Don't waste your time.

Mar 17, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Gesua Galante

Gesua,

I'm wondering if you're truly understanding what the clone is for. In this case, you're going to use it for migration. Don't get the idea that you can just restore the clone to a different machine as a substitute. That's not going to work well. Migration is not going to bring over your 10.6.8 system, just your apps, settings, and documents. When you boot the new one it's still going to be running 10.8.5. Your stuff will be under your own user name (and use the same one that was on your old machine when you create the account), and his and your applications should all be available.

You also want those cloned copies as a backup in case of a hard drive crash. A hard drive will ALWAYS fail sooner or later.

Mar 17, 2014 1:57 PM in response to BobRz

Hi RobRz,

Yes I understand that the clone isn’t going to take over 10.6.8 system. I’m going to add myself to the newer MacBook Pro and just take the data and files that I want to bring over. And then I’ll clone his computer too.

I’ve never performed a Migration so this will be interesting and new. I’ve learned a lot from you…thanks again.

Mar 19, 2014 7:21 AM in response to BobRz

Hi BobRz,

I haven't started the migration process yet. I'm still going thru what I really want to send over to my husbands Mac.

If I could ask you something about cllones. I have a clone and don't know what's on it or how much space

is used on that clone. If I connect it to my older Mac will it tell me if it's bootable because not enough space?

I just don't want anything to blow up.

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Gesua Galante

OK... plug the drive that contains that clone into either machine, then open a Finder window. Right click that drive and choose Get Info. That'll tell you how much space is used on that drive. Remember though that the clone also includes the Mac system files and you're not moving those over, so the used space is actually something less than what it shows.

You can also do the Get Info trick on your husband's machine to see how much space it has availble.

You lost me on telling you "if it's bootable because not enough space."

Mar 19, 2014 5:29 PM in response to BobRz

Hi BobRz,

Okay got it. What I'm doing with this other "clone" project is to open the older clone using the old computer just to copy the photos and some drawings. So once it's booted, given that there's enough room on the computer HD, then it's just a matter of me finding the files and dragging them onto a backup drive also connected to the computer.

What I meant about "if it's bootable because not enough space" was what if my computer has 400GB (drive is 500GB) of information and I boot up the "clone" and it has say also 400 GB will it still boot? I'm probably embarrassing myself with this question but I'm just so new to cloning.

Thanks again.

Upgrading then cloning. (2 separate MacBookPro versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.