Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7.1 Download through iTunes ridiculously slow...

My phone has an issue where it needs to be restored using iTunes... but of course, before I can restore it, it forces me to update to 7.1.

The update download is unbelievably slow and keeps failing.

It shows 1.13 GB and anywhere from 14-15 hours to download.

the download has failed three times, and when it fails it doesnt resume where it left off, it starts over again.

I had let it download all day, and it was down to under 30 mins left and it failed again (said it lost network connection) -- and I had to start all over again.

Right now it is showing 15 hours remaining, and it is literally downloading at the rate of about 0.1 MB every 5 seconds or slower.

And no, there is nothing wrong with my connection , i have FIOS and download everything else very fast.

In the meantime, I have no phone working at all because im forced to do this before i can restore it.

What is going on??

P.s. i am using the latest version of mavericks on a brand new 3.5 gHz i7 27" iMac running latest version of iTunes

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 6:48 PM

I'm experiencing this also. It's telling me 14-16 hours to download iOS 7.1. I tried it once and got down to within an hour of completion and then apparently the entire download aborted and had to start over because I closed the lid on my laptop.

I'm also on a FIOS connection.

I'm currently running OSX 10.8.5, ITunes 11.1.3 (8) on a Macbook Air. My iPhone is currently running iOS 6.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2014 6:48 PM in response to freddiep

I'm experiencing this also. It's telling me 14-16 hours to download iOS 7.1. I tried it once and got down to within an hour of completion and then apparently the entire download aborted and had to start over because I closed the lid on my laptop.

I'm also on a FIOS connection.

I'm currently running OSX 10.8.5, ITunes 11.1.3 (8) on a Macbook Air. My iPhone is currently running iOS 6.

Mar 16, 2014 11:52 PM in response to Sheldon Rampton

Update: I just finished updating my Macbook Air to OSX 10.9 and updated to the latest version of iTunes, 11.1.5 (5) and then attempted again to do the iPhone software update. Now the update time seems somewhat improved, to 5 hours instead of 14+. However, 5 hours still seems excessive to download 1.27 GB. The OSX 10.9 upgrade was more than 5GB and only took about an hour, using the same internet connection.

After updating to OSX 10.9 but before retrying the iPhone update, I also used the App Store to update some of the software on my Macbook. Most of the updates went well -- Keynote, Numbers, Pages, an XCode update, and iMovie. However, the OSX updates -- to iTunes, iBooks and an EPSON Printer Software Update -- took more than an hour to complete, even though the full size of the download for those items was only about 280MB total.

IOS 7.1 Download through iTunes ridiculously slow...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.