Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, my iMovie external drive went bad fortunately I backed it up off site and restored all of its data (iMovie Files) to a new drive

I purchased a new external drive and restored all my iMovie files to it named it the same as drive that failed opened iMovie thinking it woud read and regognize all my files (as they were) and to no avail the drive showed up but all folders within did not, I do not want to go through the tedius processs of individually importing each file (iMovie Events folder & iMovie Projects Folder) all over again is there a easier way??? Any help to this issue would be greatly appreciate. Thanks Rich

Mac OS X (10.7.5), ilife 09

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 9:02 PM

10 replies

Mar 17, 2014 8:25 AM in response to GeeD

Yes Gee you are correct, when I mounted the new drive I gave it the same name as the previous (named---->"Media Drive"). The data was transferred back to the new drive from "Crashplan" (a back up website) to the new drive also named "Media Drive" and during the transfer a "folder" was created named "Media Drive"and within that folder was my iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folder, I removed the that folder named "Media Drive" and placed the iMovie Projects folder and iMovie Events folder back to the root of the new drive aslo named "Media Drive", still iMovie not mapping. Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks for your time in this matter.

Rich

Mar 17, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Leprichaun

I don't see why this is not working. Your say you have a SATA drive but how is it connected to your Mac? (Firewire, USB)

Is it formatted HFS+? (It has to be for iMovie)

What happens if you double click on a project in your external disk projects folder without iMovie running?

iMovie should launch and load this project.

Geoff.

Mar 17, 2014 11:32 AM in response to GeeD

Ok weirdly the projects folder is working now.. Yippie but odd , however "iMovie Events" folder is still not, when I try to open an Event clip in the regular drive it opens in Quicktime, but not in iMovie even if I change the default program to open to "iMovie". Nothing Happens within iMovie for Event Folder. The Hard Drive is formatted in OS Extended Journaled. Thanks

Mar 17, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Leprichaun

NEVER MIND noticed that in my attempts to fix things I imported a movie to the Events catagory in iMovie, by doing that a second iMovie Events Folder was created which probablly confused iMovie when I deleted the newley created folder and the actual event clip themselves it recognized the RIGHT iMovie Events folder and all is well....ugggh......thank you, thank you for your help though.

Help, my iMovie external drive went bad fortunately I backed it up off site and restored all of its data (iMovie Files) to a new drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.