Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install mac osx on Powerbook g4

I have a G4 Powerbook that has a blank hard drive in it. I also have a dmg for osx 10.4.3. My question is how can I get this installed on the powerbook? I read that the g4 will not boot to a usb drive. I ran win32 disk imager to burn dmg to dvd, but the g4 does not recongnize it at all. Is there a way to do this with the image that I have?

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 10:30 PM

2 replies

Mar 16, 2014 3:33 PM in response to sabramenko

The disk image is not a preferred or designed way to boot the computer, or install

an OS X. The installer DVD (last supported version for PPC Mac, OS X 10.5(.8)

would be a retail disc, and then the installed OS X would go online to get the

final Combo Update for Leopard OS X 10.5.8.

Original DVD disc media for the model would be specific to the build model year,

and would be gray color with numbers and details specific to their machine use.

A retail DVD would have a large X on the label, and a nebula purple/black color.

There may be replacement install discs available from Apple support main number

in the US (see web site, not store numbers) for a fee, if still available; and they'd

need to know the serial number and model of your computer for a match.

A download .dmg of an OS X is not an authorized edition, and will not work.

You could look & hope to find a pre-owned retail OS X 10.5 from someone.

However be sure to not pay too much.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 18, 2014 7:40 AM in response to sabramenko

G4 Powerbooks that aren't at least 867 Mhz can only install Mac OS X 10.4.6 retail or earlier versions of 10.4, and not any version of 10.5. 10.5 gets rid of Classic compatibility, but for a limited set of some Powerbooks will support Mac OS 9 booting with Mac OS X booting:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1757

Macs generally won't install a version of Mac OS older than the model either. It would help if you used http://www.everymac.com/ to determine your Powerbook's year and release within year to be able to tell you what you can install.

How to install mac osx on Powerbook g4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.