Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD external hard drive not detected

The external hard drive, a WD 500Gb (western digital) is not detected when I plug it into my Mac laptop. It worked recently then suddenly stopped. It's not seen in the disk utility, the computer doesn't read it's there at all. I've tried turning things on and off. I've tried checking the box under preferences tab to show it. Nothing works. I don't think it's the cord because I can hear the little spinning sound when it's plugged in and it lights up.

I don't want to lose access to the data on my external hard drive . Please help, thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 9:38 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2014 10:41 PM in response to ba1010

Then either the physical drive in the enclosure or the enclosures electronics has failed.

WD is known for using lousy electronics in their external drives so the actual drive inside the enclosure is probably still ok. The only way to tell is to crack open the enclosure and extract the drive then use a SATA to USB adapter, one that has its own AC power supply, to connect the drive to your Mac.

WD external hard drive not detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.