Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to upgrade from 10.6.8 to current OS but cant get update

I have an old Mac Book Pro, currently running 10.6.8 and I want to bring it up to current OS but I cant find an update to Lion.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

I know I need to upgrade to a newer mac but I'd still like to get this one onto 10.9

Cheers.

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 1:12 AM

Software Update won't take you any further than 10.6.8. Your Mac is suitable for Lion - to purchase it, go to the Online Apple Store and search for 'Lion'. You will get a code which enables you to download it from the Mac App Store.

If your Mac is suitable you can go straight to Mavericks, which is directly available in the Mac App Store. The requirements are

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

In any case if your Mac isn't suitable it won't let you download it, so you should try that first befire considering Lion.

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2014 1:12 AM in response to reggierabbit

Software Update won't take you any further than 10.6.8. Your Mac is suitable for Lion - to purchase it, go to the Online Apple Store and search for 'Lion'. You will get a code which enables you to download it from the Mac App Store.

If your Mac is suitable you can go straight to Mavericks, which is directly available in the Mac App Store. The requirements are

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

In any case if your Mac isn't suitable it won't let you download it, so you should try that first befire considering Lion.

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Mar 16, 2014 8:20 AM in response to glenwood_steve

Lion is still available. You have to start by purchasing it from the Online Apple Store, not the App Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

(or the URL for your location if not the USA)

What you get is a code to allow download from the App Store. If you have trouble with the download you should ring the Online Store at the number given at bottom left of this page and complain. (If it really has been withdrawn from the App Store then you would be able to demand a refund from the Online Store.)

Mar 16, 2014 9:25 AM in response to glenwood_steve

Don't bother with Support, ring the online Store. They've taken your money, so they are responsible for either returning it or making the download work.

And as said it's better to start your own thread - adding to another thread leads to interleaved answers and uncertainty about who is talking to who, which doesn't help either you or the person who started the thread.

want to upgrade from 10.6.8 to current OS but cant get update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.