Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

diradmin password reset

have tried this....

You can reset the Open Directory administrator password in Mavericks without affecting user data. You might need to do this, for example, if an Open Directory administrator departs without sharing the password.

1. On the Open Directory server, open Terminal and execute this command:
    ldapsearch -LLL -x -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -s base namingContexts
  2. In the output, look for the dc= entries, such as dc=ldap1,dc=example,dc=com. Note these entries.
  3. Log in to the server as an administrator.
  4. Open Terminal, then execute the following command. Replace the sample dc= entries with the entries you noted before. Also, if the directory administrator account's uid is not diradmin, change the command accordingly.
    sudo ldappasswd -x -H ldapi://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fldapi -S uid=diradmin,cn=users,dc=ldap1,dc=example,dc=com
  5. Enter your administrator account password when prompted.
  6. At the "New Password:" prompt, enter the new directory administrator password you want to use. Enter it again when prompted.

but is fails with the following, Mountain lion server .....

New password:

Re-enter new password:

Result: Strong(er) authentication required (8)

Additional info: only authenticated users may change passwords

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 4:06 AM

10 replies

May 9, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Free Tibet

I am getting the exact same error. I am trying to figure out what the heck it means. But needless to say, Apple's documentation is innacurate.

I have done a little testing around and have tried running that set of instruction while logged in as a network server administrator (not a local account).

but now I receive the error "DNS SRV: out of memory?"

Message was edited by: twillsie

Nov 4, 2014 8:32 PM in response to Free Tibet

I have this problem too, but the Terminal instructions do not work. Directory Utility still has the slot address as 0x00000000000000000000000000000001. The Terminal process goes along as predicted with no error messages. I still can not authenticate with diradmin + new password. I even tried and earlier version solution:

dmin$ sudo mkpassdb -setpassword 0x00000000000000000000000000000001

Password:

usage: [-u username][-m weakmech][-a][-b][-e count][-n replica-name][-o][-p][-q]

-dump [slot-ID]

-header

-getglobalpolicy

-kerberize

-key

-list

-mergedb filepath

-mergeparent filepath omit-file

-rekeydb [key-size-in-bits]

-setadmin slot-ID [admin-class (0-7)]

-setglobalpolicy policies

-setkeyagent slot-ID

-setcomputeraccount slot-ID [off]

And the results indicate that the command mkpassdb -setpassword does not work.

Any help?

Apr 24, 2015 1:42 AM in response to Free Tibet

I managed to solve the OP's exact issue in Lion Server (10.7.5) as follows:

1. In Server.app, create a new user, with server admin privileges.

2. Launch Applications/Server/Workgroup Manager. If you get an immediate authentication prompt, log in with a local admin-level OS X account.

3. Near the top of the main window, click on the tiny globe to switch to the LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 directory domain.

4. Click on the small black lock in the circle (right side of window) to authenticate as the new user from step 1.

5. You can then navigate to the Directory Administrator (diradmin) account and successfully change the password.

Hope this helps someone.

May 9, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Free Tibet

I'm seeing this same issue on OS X Server 10.8.5 and my suspicion is that it has happened after having to restore the Open Directory database.

No program or utility is able to change any entries in the LDAP directory and the best I can achieve is to view the entries by logging in to WorkGroup Manager with the local server admin account. So I can't add another account and set it as a server administrator.

Other posts seem to suggest that the error relates to SASL (secure) connection being required - even though part of the command listed by Apple (the -x) says to not use SASL.

Did anybody watching this thread come up with an answer? I'm thinking I might have to manually create a new Open Directory Master - in this case the number of entries I'd need to add aren't too excessive - but still a real pain.

Sep 18, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Free Tibet

I'm having the same issue exactly. I had to restore the Open Directory database after it got hosed after the last server security update. Cannot authenticate into LDAP database as Directory Administrator and cannot change the password without the dreaded message as follows:

Password:

New password:

Re-enter new password:

Result: Strong(er) authentication required (8)

Additional info: only authenticated users may change passwords

May try logging in as ROOT and trying the same terminal commands tonight but so far nothing seems to work!

diradmin password reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.