Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync iPod shuffle

Hi, I had an old iPod I've used with my macbook pro, never had a problem synching. I just bought a 4th gen iPod shuffle, and I can't get it to sync. I thought it did while charging for the first time, but apprently not. When I try to play the iPod, there's a spoken message was to sync with iTunes. I've downloaded the most recent version of iTunes to my mac, and have run all software updates. iTunes sees my iPod, as there is an eject icon, but under File-Devices in iTunes, sync is gray. When I connect my iPod, iTunes will open automatically but, nothing else happens. Thanks

iPod shuffle (4th generation late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 5:15 AM

Your old iPod, if it was the type with a hard drive for storage, may have had enough storage capacity to hold your entire iTunes music library, thousands of songs. An iPod shuffle uses flash storage, and the 4th gen shuffle only has 2GB of storage; that's only enough for hundreds of songs. So, with your old iPod, you may have set it up to sync your entire iTunes music library. But with your new shuffle, since your entire iTunes music library is not likely to fit, you have to specify a portion of the music library to sync. Unless you do that, the shuffle still "syncs" when you connect it, but it syncs nothing.

If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When the shuffle is connected, it appears in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Select the shuffle there. To the right, its Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, where it says Summary, click on Music to the right of Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs the shuffle.

One convenient way to set this up for a shuffle is to create a new playlist in your iTunes library, and put all of the songs you want on the shuffle on that playlist. (Or you can use an existing playlist.) Back on the shuffle's Music screen in iTunes, check the checkbox for Sync Music. Choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, find that playlist under Playlists and select (checkmark) it. You can select other items on those lists if desired.

When you click Apply, the songs in your selection(s) sync to the shuffle. Going forward, to update the shuffle's songs, just update that playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The shuffle does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

This is not any different from how your old iPod worked (for syncing). The difference is that with your old iPod, it had enough storage space to allow you to set it to sync your Entire music library on the iPod's Music screen. With your shuffle, you need to be more specific.

but under File-Devices in iTunes, sync is gray.

That menu bar item is disabled unless a device is selected in iTunes. When you select your shuffle in the sidebar, that command becomes enabled. However, most people do not use the Sync command in the menu bar, because when the iPod is selected in iTunes, there is a Sync button near the bottom right corner of the window.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2014 5:15 AM in response to An687

Your old iPod, if it was the type with a hard drive for storage, may have had enough storage capacity to hold your entire iTunes music library, thousands of songs. An iPod shuffle uses flash storage, and the 4th gen shuffle only has 2GB of storage; that's only enough for hundreds of songs. So, with your old iPod, you may have set it up to sync your entire iTunes music library. But with your new shuffle, since your entire iTunes music library is not likely to fit, you have to specify a portion of the music library to sync. Unless you do that, the shuffle still "syncs" when you connect it, but it syncs nothing.

If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When the shuffle is connected, it appears in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Select the shuffle there. To the right, its Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, where it says Summary, click on Music to the right of Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs the shuffle.

One convenient way to set this up for a shuffle is to create a new playlist in your iTunes library, and put all of the songs you want on the shuffle on that playlist. (Or you can use an existing playlist.) Back on the shuffle's Music screen in iTunes, check the checkbox for Sync Music. Choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, find that playlist under Playlists and select (checkmark) it. You can select other items on those lists if desired.

When you click Apply, the songs in your selection(s) sync to the shuffle. Going forward, to update the shuffle's songs, just update that playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The shuffle does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

This is not any different from how your old iPod worked (for syncing). The difference is that with your old iPod, it had enough storage space to allow you to set it to sync your Entire music library on the iPod's Music screen. With your shuffle, you need to be more specific.

but under File-Devices in iTunes, sync is gray.

That menu bar item is disabled unless a device is selected in iTunes. When you select your shuffle in the sidebar, that command becomes enabled. However, most people do not use the Sync command in the menu bar, because when the iPod is selected in iTunes, there is a Sync button near the bottom right corner of the window.

Dec 10, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi:

Excellent answer to this question. I have done all you suggested and still can't get 4th gen shuffle to sync.

I have made two changes since the last time I synced: updated to iTunes 12.0.1.26, and deleted some songs from a playlist in order to add new ones and keep below the Shuffle's capacity (and that occurred).

When I try to sync I get message: "cannot sync due to unknown problem (-40).

I only have 2 playlists for the shuffle, so I removed one to reduce space required significantly, still won't sync (I see the capacity and GB required on the slide bar)

I have tried restarting with Shuffle connected before and after restart. iTunes detects Shuffle, gives me Summary and Music info, but won't sync.

I also have an iPod classic which syncs.

Any suggestions?

Mikesbsc

Can't sync iPod shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.