Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

server says file too big to send-file says 33MB server says 44MB

I cannot send a short video which is 33.1 MB in the description but the server won't process as it claims the file is too big(44MB) and it can handle only 41MB.

I've tried to compress it but still reads as "too big to send"😕

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 8:40 AM

1 reply

Mar 16, 2014 9:07 AM in response to CarolAnn14

You seem focused on the difference between 33 megabytes binary and a 44 megabytes transfer — the messages have to be encoded as SMTP mail was never intended as a binary transfer mechanism — mail servers transfer printable text messages — and the text-encoded attached binary files are inherently going to be larger than the original files.

You're going to have to raise the mail server limits (which requires administrative access to the mail server), or find an alternate means of transferring the file — mail servers aren't very efficient at large transfers, large files tend to blow out mail server storage quotas, and blow out mail files. Or chunk up the file into smaller files, send the chunks independently, and then concatenate the file remotely. (There are tools around to do this — at the command line, have a look at the zipsplit tool — but I'd generally discourage this approach as it adds effort and complexity to the process.)

The usual approach is a file transfer service. Dropbox or SpiderOak or some other file hosting or file transfer service are the most common approaches here, and are also more efficient than the overhead involved with large attachments sent via a mail server. Many of these file-hosting services offer more than enough storage here, and often as part of a free service tier.

Some folks can and do run their own file-hosting services, but that generally involves configuring and managing a server system and the associated network connections.

server says file too big to send-file says 33MB server says 44MB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.