Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do i keep getting a message this airplay connection requires ios7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad or osx10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a mac

why do i keep getting a message this airplay connection requires ios7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad or osx10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a mac when i already have upgrade to Maverick 10.9.2

Apple TV, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 10:41 AM

17 replies

Jan 1, 2017 6:26 PM in response to daniel.carlton

I had the same problem and it turns out my PC was the culprit. If I completely disconnect the PC from my home system, the problem goes away. I can have the PC turned on but disconnected from the web and the problem is gone. If connected, the problem comes back. I have many Apple devices (that through a process of elimination) appear not to be a problem on my system. The PC apparently has some software on it that keeps trying to be "friendly" to my Apple TV AirPlay software and it's even turned my TV on and switched it to HDMI input 2. I'm deleting softwares one by one on the PC but I haven't found the software that's creating the problem yet. Any software from any device may want the AirPlay in the Apple TV to shake hands with it. It's important to shut off all devices with Wifi in your home and eliminate the ones that seem to be causing the issue. You can watch a movie or TV show on your Apple TV and if the error message about "This AirPlay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later, OS X 10.10 or later, or iTunes 11.2 or later" pops up you know the problem still exists.

Apr 6, 2017 4:54 AM in response to daniel.carlton

Apple TV 4th generation it is automatically triggered to switch on by an Airplay request with the mentioned message. I have no clue which application of my several airplay enabled devices is causing that and no means to identify it. The suggested workaround (not a solution) is no longer viable since the Airplay Security menu only gives the option for 'First Time Password', 'Passcode', 'Password'. It cannot be disabled and in any case this is not a solution.

Apr 6, 2017 5:19 AM in response to dgeorgiou79

With the airplay 'On' every 10 seconds normal apple TV functionality is interrupted I am getting the following message:

"apple tv 4th generation Device requirements this airplay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later, OS X 10.10, or iTunes 11.2 or later", in my network I have an iPhone an iPad, a mac mini and a mac book air, neither of those devices are using any version earlier than the ones mentioned in the message. No unidentified devices are registered in my wi-fi network, this is rather frustrating.

Apr 6, 2017 5:45 AM in response to dgeorgiou79

Hi dgeorgiou79. There is some device on your network that is connecting to Apple TV using an outdated protocol. One known culprit is the Plex app on Android devices. Try turning off all your devices/computers and see if it stops. Since it happens very frequently, this should be obvious. If it does not stop, it might be thr router. If it does stop, turn them on one by one to identify which it is.

Apr 6, 2017 6:19 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana, thanks for your immediate response, indeed the issue is most probably caused by an application/service running on my mac-mini, I believe I now know which one is it, what ever the case though, the fact is that this application is trying to utilise the airplay without being an action triggered by me. It should be possible for the user to get notified on the apps action and accept that the airplay will be refused, with the current implementation I am continuously getting a notification for an action that I am not triggering with no chance to stop it (I don't really care why an airplay that I am no triggering has issues), other than discover the application and shut it down.

Apr 6, 2017 10:53 PM in response to dgeorgiou79

I'm having the exactly same issue... all my apple devices have the last software update and the massage keeps showing every 10 seconds... just when i turn Airplay OFF on the Apple TV the message disappear... But i want to keep it on, is easier to airplay my movies, like i always do on all the updates before this new one.

Did you discover some way to fix that, or need a "new new" update to resolve?

Apr 7, 2017 1:48 AM in response to ian9090

Currently, the only viable workaround you can apply to avoid this issue is to try and identify which application/service within your network is using an outdated version of the airplay protocol and either update it or stop using it, following the method suggested by @Diana.McCall part of this thread. I would reckon that is neither of the Apple applications/OS explicitly mentioned in the notification but a third party application.

Not sure whether Apple is aware in the time being about the user experience the specific implementation is causing and thus it hasn't been addressed in the latest TV OS release.

Apr 7, 2017 3:27 AM in response to ian9090

Hi ian9090. Please note that the Device Requirements message only means that an invalid AirPlay connection was detected. The message is outdated and should probably be reworded.

Also, everyone should realize that Apple clients identify AirPlay servers using the Bonjour protocol. They do not open an AirPlay connection until the user actually tries to use AirPlay. It seems like these 3rd party apps just scan the network, trying to connect to AirPlay (port 7000) on each device, triggering the message even though AirPlay is not being used.

Apr 10, 2017 8:15 AM in response to pasqualemeti

Seems there are a number of potential sources that trigger the alert which is essentially that the Apple TV thinks it is getting a valid request from an outdated device although that is in reality likely not what is actually happening.

Without tracking down and turning off all potentially offending devices and or services there may be little you can do outside of segmenting the Apple TV so it doesn't see the network traffic which is what I have done for now.

It seems Apple Engineers are aware of the issue, are still gathering data, and will hopefully fix in an upcoming update.

Mar 28, 2014 7:07 PM in response to pasqualemeti

Found this on another site - resolved my same problem:

Apple recently added a setting to the Apple TV that allows for only user-verified devices to connect to the Apple TV. Trying to connect with AirParrot when this setting is turned on will result in this message being displayed: This AirPlay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad, or OS X 10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a Mac.

To disable the setting, go to Settings > AirPlay > Security > Require Device Verification and turn it off. This setting was introduced in Apple TV software version 6.1. More on device verification can be found at the Apple support portal.

(http://support.airsquirrels.com/article.php?id=124)

why do i keep getting a message this airplay connection requires ios7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad or osx10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.