Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio file missing from MOV when exported as a quicktime movie.

Using Keynote 9, I imported video into presentation that was edited in iMovie 9. When I export the presentation to quicktime movie the audio is missing from the video file. The audio file plays fine in the standard keynote presentation mode.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 12:55 PM

6 replies

Nov 5, 2017 12:09 PM in response to BatHallel

we need to know more about the sound file:

the presentation also includes an "audio soundtrack"

do you mean that you have placed a sound file in: Inspector > Document > Audio Soundtrack ?

User uploaded file

• do you hear the sound file when Keynote is playing (Play > Slideshow)?
  • what filetype is the sound file? (e.g. .mov .mp3 .wav)
  • where did you get this sound file from? (e.g. created in Garage Band, a web download, iTunes)

Nov 17, 2017 12:16 PM in response to Bigdweav

I'm having the same exact same "missing audio issue" when exporting. Playback of recorded keynote presentation in Keynote is just fine, including the audio file timing. But once I export to Quicktime, things go badly. I'm using:

• Keynote v.7.3.1, exporting to a Quicktime video
  • Using a MacBook Air running MacOS 10.12.6
  • With an audio file mixed in Audacity, which combined an MP3 song (royalty free) and my voice-over. I then exported that new file and reimported it into iTunes (tried AIFF and MP3 encoding).
  • Quicktime export settings: Playback is "Slideshow Recording" and Format is "1024x768"
  • Video codec of the exported video is H.264

Next I tried to use iMovie to combine the audio-less video with the music/voice over file. It does combine the two, but iMovie forces a 16:9 aspect ratio (as of 2013). Therefore it crops the 4:3 ratio of the Keynote presentation. Fail #2.

Also, I'm experiencing a second issue with Keynote exporting to Quicktime. Smooth transitions (like dissolve or other effects) get "broken" in the video, resulting in a wierd flash/choppy transition effect in the video. So, my exported Keynote presentation has no audio and very "unsmooth" transitions. Help!

Nov 3, 2017 6:44 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi there - here is the info:

what specific Version of Keynote

Keynote version 7.3 (5046)

what version of Mac OS

Sierra OS 10.12.6

what filetype and CODEC is the video

I'm 'exporting' my Keynote presentation into a Quicktime movie, with the "playback" set to "slideshow recording." However, the presentation also includes an "audio soundtrack" which, once exported, does not play in the Quicktime movie. The movie plays with the slideshow recording perfectly, but the audio soundtrack never exports.

where was the video obtained

n/a - see above

what are the export settings to Quicktime

I'm not exporting from Quicktime -- I'm exporting from Keynote into Quicktime.

Thank you for your help -- I've been waiting for a solution to this problem for a very long time!

Dec 30, 2014 1:33 AM in response to Bigdweav

This is STRICTLY a work around! Official fix will come from Apple as an update more than likely.

Duplicate item first (File > Duplicate). On newly duplicated project change file association type (File > get info). Under name and extension section take out .key). Close Get Info and save with removing .key. Double click to open the file (now a compression). Open uncompressed folder (same name as original file, now shows as a folder). Now in the Data folder find a .mov file named "Recording" with randomly generated letters and numbers behind it. Drag .mov file to desktop or any other directory. Open extracted .mov file with QuickTime to verify integrity. Save as audio file only. Get Info on file again and place .key value at end of file/extension for project. Open project. Under Play menu option delete the recording. Under Audio inspector drag the .mov of audio only to recording back in. Test play project to see if its accurate. Export to QuickTime and see if issue is resolved.

If issue persists:

Export with corrupted audio as QuickTime. Separate the audio from video track. Delete audio. Import the extracted .mov audio file. Share > File. Enjoy.

Audio file missing from MOV when exported as a quicktime movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.