Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac wont boot to safe mood or disc utilty

My 24in iMac is booting to gray screen with flashing folder with a question mark in it. Its getting old and at this point all i am worried about is gathering some data off my drive. It currently wont boot into safe mood and I can not boot into disc utility.

Any thoughts??

iMac

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 4:07 PM

9 replies

Mar 16, 2014 4:15 PM in response to skernz

skernz wrote:

My 24in iMac is booting to gray screen with flashing folder with a question mark in it. Its getting old and at this point all i am worried about is gathering some data off my drive. It currently wont boot into safe mood and I can not boot into disc utility.

Any thoughts??

Old enough that when purchased, system DVDs came w/it? If so, do the following:

Disconnect all devices from the computer then do the following:

Boot up from the system DVD that originally came w/the iMac while holding down the "c" key.

Select the language you wish to use, and then choose "Disk Utility" from the menu bar.

Your HD should appear in a panel on the left hand side of the window which opens. Select it and then click on the "repair disk" button in the right hand section of the window.

Once this process has been completed restart your computer and repair permissions directly from Disk Utility.

If Disk Utility is unable to complete the repair, you will need to use a stronger 3rd party utility like DiskWarrior, Techtool PRO (not Deluxe) or Drive Genius.

If the above works, start backing up. Check out the following links:

Mac Basics: Time Machine

OS X Mountain Lion: Alternatives for backing up your Mac

User Tip: Most commonly used backup methods

Emergency backups you didn't know you had!

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2014 5:04 PM in response to skernz

Unless it's really really important, that can be extremely expensive. Only thing you can try yourself is to take the drive out, put it in a freezer bag (best done with silica gel to absorb moisture), put it in the freezer overnight, then either put it in an external drive or drive dock (the latter is probably the best because it can be done quickly before the drive warms up again.)

EDIT: triple wrapped and well sealed.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

imac wont boot to safe mood or disc utilty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.