Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Running Slow and Overheating, High kernel_task CPU Usage

Hi All,

Since about two weeks ago, my MacBook Pro has been running significantly slower using various applications such as

- Google Chrome via Watching Netflix, Twitch.tv, general usage of Facebook/Twitter/Google Searches

- Various Games (WoW, LoL, Hearthstone)

But also just generally when trying to simply look on twitter, open finder, using microsoft word too.

Whilst playing, all the settings have been set to minimum and the macbook runs very sluggishly, yet before this all started I could easily play on around medium settings with no problem.

Generally my Macbook Pro has just been running very slow, opening apps, opening new tabs, typing appears slow additionally on some google searches.

For example, I was using BTSport stream, opened a new app to google another score, and the whole video started to shutter, like a powerpoint of some sort.

Additionally the macbook itself seems to be heating up a lot higher than usual. I'm unsure whether the fans have appeared to slowdown/stopped.

All im looking for is some way to diagnose the problem, potentially solve it whether or not I can do it myself or if I have to take it into the apple store, however it's rather infuriating, having to suddenly stop using my macbook since it can hardly run any applications without feeling extremely sluggish.

As the title says, when watching streams/videos, my CPU usage shoots up, "Google Chrome Helper" hits up to 200%, and when i quit it, "Shockwave Flash has crashed" appears. I then tried to stream using Safari, incase it was a google chrome problem, same thing however "Flash player(safari)" now hits up to higher %'s of CPU usage.

Furthermore, when simply watching a youtube video/google searching "Kernel_task" hit up to 100-200% CPU usage too, and since using google I've found various topic discussions about Mavericks causing it to be high usage.

So yeah any help, telling me how to run a diagnostic, or programme to find out the problem or any genuine solutions that can help would be extremely appreciated!

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 9:22 PM

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem.

2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to collect information about the state of the computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the request of a stranger on a public message board. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.

Here's a summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed: Copy a line of text from this web page into the window of another application. Wait for the script to run. It usually takes a few minutes. Then paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page. The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. Details follow.

4. You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

5. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply. Don't log in as root.

6. The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in the browser window, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; clear; Fb='%s\n\t(%s)\n'; Fm='\n%s\n\n%s\n'; Fr='\nRAM details\n%s\n'; Fs='\n%s: %s\n'; Fu='user %s%%, system %s%%'; AC="com.autodesk.AutoCAD com.google.GoogleDrive"; H='^[[:space:]]*((127\.0\.0\.1|::1|fe80::1%lo0)[[:space:]]+local|(255\.){3}255[[:space:]]*broadcast)host[[:space:]]*$'; NS=networksetup; PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print"; A () { [[ a -eq 0 ]]; }; M () { find -L "$d" -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | egrep -lq XML\|exec && echo $f; done; }; AT () { o=`file -b "$1" | egrep -v '^(A.{16}t$|cann)'`; Ps "${1##*/} format"; }; Pc () { o=`grep -v '^ *#' "$2"`; l=`wc -l <<< "$o"`; [[ l -gt 25 ]] && o=`head -n25 <<< "$o"`$'\n'"[$((l-25)) more line(s)]"; Pm "$1"; AT "$1"; }; Pm () { [[ "$o" ]] && o=`sed -E '/^ *$/d; s/^ */ /;s/[-0-9A-Fa-f]{22,}/UUID/g;s/(ochat)\.[^.]+(\..+)/\1\2/' <<< "$o"` && printf "$Fm" "$1" "$o"; }; Pp () { o=`$PB "$2" | awk -F'= ' \/$3'/{print $2}'`; Pm "$1"; }; Ps () { o=`echo $o`; [[ ! "$o" =~ ^0?$ ]] && printf "$Fs" "$1" "$o"; }; R () { o=; [[ r -eq 0 ]]; }; SP () { system_profiler SP${1}DataType; }; id -G | grep -qw 80; a=$?; A && sudo true; r=$?; t=`date +%s`; clear; { A || echo $'No admin access\n'; A && ! R && echo $'No root access\n'; SP Software | sed -n 's/^ *//;5p;6p;8p'; h=(`SP Hardware | awk '/ Id/{print $3}; /Mem/{print $2}'`); o=$h; Ps "Model"; o=$((h[1]<4?h[1]:0)); Ps "Total RAM (GB)"; o=`SP Memory | sed '1,5d;/[my].*:/d'`; [[ "$o" =~ s:\ [^O]|x([^08]|0[^2]|8[^0]) ]] && printf "$Fr" "$o"; o=`SP Diagnostics | sed '5,6!d'`; [[ "$o" =~ Pass ]] || Pm "POST"; p=`SP Power`; o=`awk '/Cy/{print $NF}' <<< "$p"`; o=$((o>=300?o:0)); Ps "Battery cycles"; o=`sed -n '/Cond.*: [^N]/{s/^.*://p;}' <<< "$p"`; Ps "Battery condition"; for b in Thunderbolt USB; do o=`SP $b | sed -En '1d;/:$/{s/ *:$//;x;s/\n//p;};/^ *V.* [0N].* /{s/ 0x.... //;s/[()]//g;s/(.*: )(.*)/ \(\2\)/;H;};/Apple|Genesy|Intel|SMSC/{s/.//g;h;}'`; Pm $b; done; o=`pmset -g therm | sed 's/^.*C/C/'`; [[ "$o" =~ No\ th|pms ]] && o=; Pm "Thermal conditions"; o=`pmset -g sysload | grep -v :`; [[ "$o" =~ =\ [^GO] ]] || o=; Pm "System load advisory"; o=`nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'`; Ps "boot-args"; a=(/ ""); A=(System User); for i in 0 1; do o=`cd ${a[$i]}L*/Lo*/Diag* || continue; for f in *.{cr,h,pa,s}*; do [[ -f "$f" ]] || continue; d=$(stat -f%Sc -t%F "$f"); [[ "$f" =~ h$ ]] && grep -lq "^Thread c" "$f" && f="$f *"; echo "$d ${f%%_2*} ${f##*.}"; done | sort | tail`; Pm "${A[$i]} diagnostics"; done; grep -lq '*$' <<< "$o" && printf $'\n\t* Code injection\n'; o=`syslog -F bsd -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'caug|GPU |hfs: Ru|last value [1-9]|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|proc: t|Roamed|rror|ssert|Thrott|timed? ?o|WARN' -k Message Ane 'SMC:' | tail -n25 | awk '/:/{$4=""; $5=""};1'`; Pm "Kernel messages"; o=`df -m / | awk 'NR==2 {print $4}'`; o=$((o<5120?o:0)); Ps "Free space (MiB)"; o=$(($(vm_stat | awk '/eo/{sub("\\.",""); print $2}')/256)); o=$((o>=1024?o:0)); Ps "Pageouts (MiB)"; s=( `sar -u 1 10 | sed '$!d'` ); [[ s[4] -lt 85 ]] && o=`printf "$Fu" ${s[1]} ${s[3]}` || o=; Ps "Total CPU usage" && { s=(`ps acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu | sed '2!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); c="${s[*]}"; o=${s[$n]}%; Ps "CPU usage by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; }; s=(`top -R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt | sed '$!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); s[$n]=${s[$n]%[+-]}; c="${s[*]}"; o=$((s[$n]>=25000?s[$n]:0)); Ps "Mach ports used by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; o=`kextstat -kl | grep -v com\\.apple | cut -c53- | cut -d\< -f1`; Pm "Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions"; R && o=`sudo launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|calendarse|cups|dove|isc|ntp|openld|post[fg]|x)/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic daemons"; o=`launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)|\.[0-9]+$/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic agents"; o=`for d in {/,}L*/Lau*; do M; done | egrep -v 'com\.apple\.(CSConfig|server)' | while read f; do ID=$($PB\ :Label "$f") || ID="No job label"; printf "$Fb" "$f" "$ID"; done`; Pm "launchd items"; o=`for d in /{S*/,}L*/StartupItems; do M; done`; Pm "Startup items"; sys=`pkgutil --regexp --only-files --files com.apple.pkg.* | sort | uniq | sed 's:^:/:'`; b=`sed -E '/^.+Lib.+\/Contents\/Info.plist$/!d;s/\/Info.plist$//;/Contents\/./d' <<< "$sys"`; l=`egrep '^/usr/lib/.+dylib$' <<< "$sys"`; [[ "$b" && "$l" ]] && { o=`find -L /S*/L*/{C*/Sec*A,E}* {/,}L*/{A*d,Compon,Ex,In,iTu,Keyb,Mail/B,P*P,Qu*T,Scripti,Sec,Servi,Spo}* -type d -name Contents -prune | grep -Fv "$b" | while read d; do test -f "$d/Info.plist" || continue; ID=$($PB\ :CFBundleIdentifier "$_") || ID="No bundle ID"; printf "$Fb" "${d%/Contents}" "$ID"; done`; Pm "Extrinsic loadable bundles"; o=`find /usr/lib -type f -name *.dylib | grep -Fv "$l"`; Pm "Extrinsic shared libraries"; :; } || echo $'\nReceipts missing'; o=`for e in INSERT_LIBRARIES LIBRARY_PATH; do launchctl getenv DYLD_$e; done`; Pm "Environment"; o=`find -L {,/u*/lo*}/e*/periodic -type f -mtime -10d`; Pm "Modified periodic scripts"; o=`scutil --proxy | grep Prox`; Pm "Proxies"; o=`scutil --dns | awk '/r\[0\] /{if ($NF !~ /^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./) print $NF; exit}'`; i=`route -n get default | awk '/e:/{print $2}'`; I=`$NS -listnetworkserviceorder | sed -En '/ '$i'\)$/{x;s/^\(.+\) //p;q;};x'`; n=`$NS -getdnsservers "$I" | awk '!/^T/{print "not "}'`; Ps "DNS (${n}from DHCP)"; o=`$NS -getinfo "$I" | awk '/k:/{if ($3 !~ "(255\.){3}0") print $3}'`; Ps "Netmask"; R && o=`sudo profiles -P | grep : | wc -l`; Ps "Profiles"; f=auto_master; [[ `md5 -q /etc/$f` =~ ^b166 ]] || Pc $f /etc/$f; for f in fstab sysctl.conf crontab launchd.conf; do Pc $f /etc/$f; done; f=/etc/hosts; Pc "hosts" <(egrep -v "$H" $f ); AT $f; Pc "User launchd" ~/.launchd*; R && Pc "Root crontab" <(sudo crontab -l); Pc "User crontab" <(crontab -l | sed -E 's:/Users/[^/]+/:/Users/USER/:g'); R && o=`sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook`; Pm "Login hook"; LD="$(`find /S*/*/F* -type f -name lsregister | head -n1` -dump)"; o=`for ID in $AC; do [[ "$LD" =~ $ID ]] && echo $ID; done`; Pm "Application check"; Pp "Global login items" /L*/P*/loginw* Path; Pp "User login items" L*/P*/*loginit* Name; Pp "Safari extensions" L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist Bundle | sed -E 's/(\..*$|-[1-9])//g'; o=`find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) | wc -l`; Ps "Restricted user files"; cd; o=`SP Fonts | egrep 'id: N|te: Y' | wc -l`; Ps "Font problems"; o=`find L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist | while read f; do plutil -s "$f" >&- || echo $f; done`; Pm "Bad plists"; d=(Desktop L*/Keyc*); n=(20 7); for i in 0 1; do o=`find "${d[$i]}" -type f -maxdepth 1 | wc -l`; o=$((o<=n[$i]?0:o)); Ps "${d[$i]##*/} file count"; done; o=; [[ UID -eq 0 ]] && o=root; Ps "UID"; o=$((`date +%s`-t)); Ps "Elapsed time (s)"; } 2>/dev/null | pbcopy; exit 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

7. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

8. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "syntax error," enter

exec bash

and press return. Then paste the script again.

9. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important. If you don't know the password, or if you prefer not to enter it, press the key combination control-C or just press return three times at the password prompt. Again, the script will still run.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.

10. The test may take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, there will be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress. Wait for the line

[Process completed]

to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report the results. No harm will be done.

11. When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

12. When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." It means that the forum software has misidentified something in the post as a violation of the rules. If that happens, please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.

Copyright © 2014 by Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Terms of Use of the Apple Support Communities website ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.
28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2014 9:22 PM in response to BertieDaniels17

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem.

2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to collect information about the state of the computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the request of a stranger on a public message board. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.

Here's a summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed: Copy a line of text from this web page into the window of another application. Wait for the script to run. It usually takes a few minutes. Then paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page. The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. Details follow.

4. You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

5. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply. Don't log in as root.

6. The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in the browser window, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; clear; Fb='%s\n\t(%s)\n'; Fm='\n%s\n\n%s\n'; Fr='\nRAM details\n%s\n'; Fs='\n%s: %s\n'; Fu='user %s%%, system %s%%'; AC="com.autodesk.AutoCAD com.google.GoogleDrive"; H='^[[:space:]]*((127\.0\.0\.1|::1|fe80::1%lo0)[[:space:]]+local|(255\.){3}255[[:space:]]*broadcast)host[[:space:]]*$'; NS=networksetup; PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print"; A () { [[ a -eq 0 ]]; }; M () { find -L "$d" -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | egrep -lq XML\|exec && echo $f; done; }; AT () { o=`file -b "$1" | egrep -v '^(A.{16}t$|cann)'`; Ps "${1##*/} format"; }; Pc () { o=`grep -v '^ *#' "$2"`; l=`wc -l <<< "$o"`; [[ l -gt 25 ]] && o=`head -n25 <<< "$o"`$'\n'"[$((l-25)) more line(s)]"; Pm "$1"; AT "$1"; }; Pm () { [[ "$o" ]] && o=`sed -E '/^ *$/d; s/^ */ /;s/[-0-9A-Fa-f]{22,}/UUID/g;s/(ochat)\.[^.]+(\..+)/\1\2/' <<< "$o"` && printf "$Fm" "$1" "$o"; }; Pp () { o=`$PB "$2" | awk -F'= ' \/$3'/{print $2}'`; Pm "$1"; }; Ps () { o=`echo $o`; [[ ! "$o" =~ ^0?$ ]] && printf "$Fs" "$1" "$o"; }; R () { o=; [[ r -eq 0 ]]; }; SP () { system_profiler SP${1}DataType; }; id -G | grep -qw 80; a=$?; A && sudo true; r=$?; t=`date +%s`; clear; { A || echo $'No admin access\n'; A && ! R && echo $'No root access\n'; SP Software | sed -n 's/^ *//;5p;6p;8p'; h=(`SP Hardware | awk '/ Id/{print $3}; /Mem/{print $2}'`); o=$h; Ps "Model"; o=$((h[1]<4?h[1]:0)); Ps "Total RAM (GB)"; o=`SP Memory | sed '1,5d;/[my].*:/d'`; [[ "$o" =~ s:\ [^O]|x([^08]|0[^2]|8[^0]) ]] && printf "$Fr" "$o"; o=`SP Diagnostics | sed '5,6!d'`; [[ "$o" =~ Pass ]] || Pm "POST"; p=`SP Power`; o=`awk '/Cy/{print $NF}' <<< "$p"`; o=$((o>=300?o:0)); Ps "Battery cycles"; o=`sed -n '/Cond.*: [^N]/{s/^.*://p;}' <<< "$p"`; Ps "Battery condition"; for b in Thunderbolt USB; do o=`SP $b | sed -En '1d;/:$/{s/ *:$//;x;s/\n//p;};/^ *V.* [0N].* /{s/ 0x.... //;s/[()]//g;s/(.*: )(.*)/ \(\2\)/;H;};/Apple|Genesy|Intel|SMSC/{s/.//g;h;}'`; Pm $b; done; o=`pmset -g therm | sed 's/^.*C/C/'`; [[ "$o" =~ No\ th|pms ]] && o=; Pm "Thermal conditions"; o=`pmset -g sysload | grep -v :`; [[ "$o" =~ =\ [^GO] ]] || o=; Pm "System load advisory"; o=`nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'`; Ps "boot-args"; a=(/ ""); A=(System User); for i in 0 1; do o=`cd ${a[$i]}L*/Lo*/Diag* || continue; for f in *.{cr,h,pa,s}*; do [[ -f "$f" ]] || continue; d=$(stat -f%Sc -t%F "$f"); [[ "$f" =~ h$ ]] && grep -lq "^Thread c" "$f" && f="$f *"; echo "$d ${f%%_2*} ${f##*.}"; done | sort | tail`; Pm "${A[$i]} diagnostics"; done; grep -lq '*$' <<< "$o" && printf $'\n\t* Code injection\n'; o=`syslog -F bsd -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'caug|GPU |hfs: Ru|last value [1-9]|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|proc: t|Roamed|rror|ssert|Thrott|timed? ?o|WARN' -k Message Ane 'SMC:' | tail -n25 | awk '/:/{$4=""; $5=""};1'`; Pm "Kernel messages"; o=`df -m / | awk 'NR==2 {print $4}'`; o=$((o<5120?o:0)); Ps "Free space (MiB)"; o=$(($(vm_stat | awk '/eo/{sub("\\.",""); print $2}')/256)); o=$((o>=1024?o:0)); Ps "Pageouts (MiB)"; s=( `sar -u 1 10 | sed '$!d'` ); [[ s[4] -lt 85 ]] && o=`printf "$Fu" ${s[1]} ${s[3]}` || o=; Ps "Total CPU usage" && { s=(`ps acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu | sed '2!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); c="${s[*]}"; o=${s[$n]}%; Ps "CPU usage by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; }; s=(`top -R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt | sed '$!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); s[$n]=${s[$n]%[+-]}; c="${s[*]}"; o=$((s[$n]>=25000?s[$n]:0)); Ps "Mach ports used by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; o=`kextstat -kl | grep -v com\\.apple | cut -c53- | cut -d\< -f1`; Pm "Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions"; R && o=`sudo launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|calendarse|cups|dove|isc|ntp|openld|post[fg]|x)/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic daemons"; o=`launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)|\.[0-9]+$/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic agents"; o=`for d in {/,}L*/Lau*; do M; done | egrep -v 'com\.apple\.(CSConfig|server)' | while read f; do ID=$($PB\ :Label "$f") || ID="No job label"; printf "$Fb" "$f" "$ID"; done`; Pm "launchd items"; o=`for d in /{S*/,}L*/StartupItems; do M; done`; Pm "Startup items"; sys=`pkgutil --regexp --only-files --files com.apple.pkg.* | sort | uniq | sed 's:^:/:'`; b=`sed -E '/^.+Lib.+\/Contents\/Info.plist$/!d;s/\/Info.plist$//;/Contents\/./d' <<< "$sys"`; l=`egrep '^/usr/lib/.+dylib$' <<< "$sys"`; [[ "$b" && "$l" ]] && { o=`find -L /S*/L*/{C*/Sec*A,E}* {/,}L*/{A*d,Compon,Ex,In,iTu,Keyb,Mail/B,P*P,Qu*T,Scripti,Sec,Servi,Spo}* -type d -name Contents -prune | grep -Fv "$b" | while read d; do test -f "$d/Info.plist" || continue; ID=$($PB\ :CFBundleIdentifier "$_") || ID="No bundle ID"; printf "$Fb" "${d%/Contents}" "$ID"; done`; Pm "Extrinsic loadable bundles"; o=`find /usr/lib -type f -name *.dylib | grep -Fv "$l"`; Pm "Extrinsic shared libraries"; :; } || echo $'\nReceipts missing'; o=`for e in INSERT_LIBRARIES LIBRARY_PATH; do launchctl getenv DYLD_$e; done`; Pm "Environment"; o=`find -L {,/u*/lo*}/e*/periodic -type f -mtime -10d`; Pm "Modified periodic scripts"; o=`scutil --proxy | grep Prox`; Pm "Proxies"; o=`scutil --dns | awk '/r\[0\] /{if ($NF !~ /^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./) print $NF; exit}'`; i=`route -n get default | awk '/e:/{print $2}'`; I=`$NS -listnetworkserviceorder | sed -En '/ '$i'\)$/{x;s/^\(.+\) //p;q;};x'`; n=`$NS -getdnsservers "$I" | awk '!/^T/{print "not "}'`; Ps "DNS (${n}from DHCP)"; o=`$NS -getinfo "$I" | awk '/k:/{if ($3 !~ "(255\.){3}0") print $3}'`; Ps "Netmask"; R && o=`sudo profiles -P | grep : | wc -l`; Ps "Profiles"; f=auto_master; [[ `md5 -q /etc/$f` =~ ^b166 ]] || Pc $f /etc/$f; for f in fstab sysctl.conf crontab launchd.conf; do Pc $f /etc/$f; done; f=/etc/hosts; Pc "hosts" <(egrep -v "$H" $f ); AT $f; Pc "User launchd" ~/.launchd*; R && Pc "Root crontab" <(sudo crontab -l); Pc "User crontab" <(crontab -l | sed -E 's:/Users/[^/]+/:/Users/USER/:g'); R && o=`sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook`; Pm "Login hook"; LD="$(`find /S*/*/F* -type f -name lsregister | head -n1` -dump)"; o=`for ID in $AC; do [[ "$LD" =~ $ID ]] && echo $ID; done`; Pm "Application check"; Pp "Global login items" /L*/P*/loginw* Path; Pp "User login items" L*/P*/*loginit* Name; Pp "Safari extensions" L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist Bundle | sed -E 's/(\..*$|-[1-9])//g'; o=`find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) | wc -l`; Ps "Restricted user files"; cd; o=`SP Fonts | egrep 'id: N|te: Y' | wc -l`; Ps "Font problems"; o=`find L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist | while read f; do plutil -s "$f" >&- || echo $f; done`; Pm "Bad plists"; d=(Desktop L*/Keyc*); n=(20 7); for i in 0 1; do o=`find "${d[$i]}" -type f -maxdepth 1 | wc -l`; o=$((o<=n[$i]?0:o)); Ps "${d[$i]##*/} file count"; done; o=; [[ UID -eq 0 ]] && o=root; Ps "UID"; o=$((`date +%s`-t)); Ps "Elapsed time (s)"; } 2>/dev/null | pbcopy; exit 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

7. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

8. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "syntax error," enter

exec bash

and press return. Then paste the script again.

9. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important. If you don't know the password, or if you prefer not to enter it, press the key combination control-C or just press return three times at the password prompt. Again, the script will still run.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.

10. The test may take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, there will be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress. Wait for the line

[Process completed]

to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report the results. No harm will be done.

11. When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

12. When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." It means that the forum software has misidentified something in the post as a violation of the rules. If that happens, please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.

Copyright © 2014 by Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Terms of Use of the Apple Support Communities website ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

Mar 17, 2014 1:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0

Boot Mode: Normal

Model: MacBookPro8,1

Battery cycles: 1061

USB

USB Receiver (Logitech Inc.)

System diagnostics

2014-03-10 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-12 Google Chrome Helper EH spin

2014-03-12 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-12 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-13 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-13 Hearthstone Launcher spin

2014-03-15 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-16 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-16 Google Chrome spin

2014-03-17 Google Chrome spin

User diagnostics

2014-03-16 LeagueofLegends crash

2014-03-16 LogMeIn Hamachi Menubar crash

Kernel messages

Mar 15 22:49:50 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

Mar 15 22:51:43 process Google Chrome He[244] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 15 23:19:48 process LoLLauncher[496] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 15 23:47:10 process LeagueofLegends[811] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 00:17:40 process LeagueofLegends[860] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 01:15:47 process LeagueofLegends[928] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 03:08:14 process Google Chrome He[1025] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 04:40:46 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

Mar 16 04:59:08 process Google Chrome[237] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 168; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 143590

Mar 16 05:17:35 process Google Chrome He[330] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 05:31:38 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

Mar 16 16:52:22 process Google Chrome He[1278] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 18:06:38 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

--- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 16 19:47:43 process Google Chrome He[1661] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 16 20:23:35 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

--- last message repeated 2 times ---

Mar 16 21:41:07 process Google Chrome[1846] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 305; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 75826

Mar 16 22:01:41 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

Mar 17 01:29:19 process Google Chrome He[1970] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 17 02:19:56 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 44:94:fc:7e:9c:80

Mar 17 03:11:12 process Google Chrome[363] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 220; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 211912

Mar 17 03:25:52 process Google Chrome He[366] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Mar 17 03:27:42 process Google Chrome He[555] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions

com.logmein.hamachi (1.0)

Extrinsic daemons

com.raynersw.nshctldo

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

com.logmein.hamachi

com.google.keystone.daemon

com.adobe.fpsaud

Extrinsic agents

com.logmein.hamachimb

com.google.keystone.system.agent

com.facebook.videochat.updater

launchd items

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

(com.google.keystone.system.agent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logmein.hamachimb.plist

(com.logmein.hamachimb)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

(com.google.keystone.daemon)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.logmein.hamachi.plist

(com.logmein.hamachi)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

(com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.raynersw.nshctldo.plist

(com.raynersw.nshctldo)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.facebook.videochat.plist

(com.facebook.videochat.updater)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.spotify.webhelper.plist

(com.spotify.webhelper)

Extrinsic loadable bundles

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/HomeDirMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.SecurityAgentPlugin.HomeDirMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/KerberosAgent.bundle

(com.apple.KerberosAgent)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugins.loginwindowUI)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/MCXMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugin.MCXMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/PKINITMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.PKINITMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/RestartAuthorization.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugin.RestartAuthorization)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle

(com.apple. AMDRadeonVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000.kext

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD5000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHSWVA.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHSWFBVA)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelIVBFBVA)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelMCEReporter.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMCEReporter)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000GA)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000VADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

(com.epson.print.kext.USBPrintClass)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

(com.apple.GeForce)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin

(com.apple.GeForceGA)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext

(com.apple.GeForceTesla)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceTeslaGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceTeslaVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_designjet_series.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Designjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Deskjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Deskjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_fax_io.kext

(com.hp.kext.hp-fax-io)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet1_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet1.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet2_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet2.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet3_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet3.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet4_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet4.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet5_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet5.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet7_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet7.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet8_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet8.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet9_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet9.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_io_printerclassdriver_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp_io_printerclassdriver_enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Laserjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Laserjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Officejet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Officejet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Photosmart_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Photosmart.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_PhotosmartPro_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.PhotosmartPro.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_psa640_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp_psa640_io_enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_qc_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp_psa530_630_io_enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/PS3Enabler.kext

(com.mice.driver.PS3Controller)

/System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext

(com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/AirPlay.driver

(com.apple.audio.AirTunesHALPlugin)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/AppleAVBAudio.driver

(com.apple.audio.AppleAVBAudio)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/BluetoothAudioPlugIn.driver

(com.apple.audio.BluetoothAudioPlugIn)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.driver

(com.apple.iSightAudio)

/Library/Extensions/ham.kext

(com.logmein.hamachi)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/CitrixICAClientPlugIn.plugin

(com.citrix.citrixicaclientplugIn)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin

(com.apple.DefaultBrowser.PlugIn)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DirectorShockwave.plugin

(com.adobe.director.shockwave.pluginshim)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

(net.telestream.wmv.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

(net.telestream.wmv.webplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/GameFacePlugin.plugin

(com.ElectronicArts.GameFacePlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

(com.apple.plugin.iPhotoPhotocast)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

(com.apple.java.JavaAppletPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/nppanda3d.plugin

(org.panda3d.nppanda3d)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Quartz Composer.webplugin

(com.apple.QuartzComposer.webplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin

(com.apple.QuickTime Plugin.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.browserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.webkitplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

(com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unity Web Player.plugin

(com.unity.UnityWebPlayer)

/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins/Quartz Composer Visualizer.bundle

(com.apple.QuartzComposer.iTunesPlugIn)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Citrix online plug-in.prefPane

(com.citrix.Citrix_online_app)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

(net.telestream.wmv.prefpane)

/Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component

(com.apple.AppleMPEG2Codec)

/Library/Spotlight/iBooksAuthor.mdimporter

(com.apple.MDImporter.iBooksAuthor)

/Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter

(com.apple.MDImporter.iWork)

/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter

(com.microsoft.MDImporter.Office)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABDialer.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabdialer)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABSMS.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/FacebookVideoCalling.bundle

(com.skype.FacebookVideoCalling)

Extrinsic shared libraries

/usr/lib/dtrace/libdtrace_dyld.dylib

/usr/lib/libgmalloc.B.dylib

/usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib

Netmask: 255.255.240.0

Global login items

/Applications/Epson Software/Event Manager.app/Contents/Resources/Assistants/Event Manager/EEventManager.app

/Applications/Epson Software/Epson Low Ink Reminder.app/Contents/EpsonLowInkReminderAgent.app

User login items

uHD-Agent

uTorrent

VMware Fusion Start Menu

SpeechSynthesisServer

puush

Safari extensions

Searchme

Restricted user files: 47

Font problems: 41

Bad plists

Library/Preferences/com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist

Elapsed time (s): 141

Mar 17, 2014 10:43 AM in response to BertieDaniels17

The battery has exceeded its cycle rating and may need to be replaced.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 4, 2014 8:23 AM in response to BertieDaniels17

Hi Linc, my mackbook is very slow, and I got to this post. Ran your diagnosis script. Could you help me checking it out, so that I know if there is a major issue I need to attend, or if there is something I could do to speed up my mac? Thanks in advance.

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)

RAM details

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 4 GB

Speed: 1333 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x0198

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: 4 GB

Speed: 1333 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x0198

Battery cycles: 429

System diagnostics

2014-04-21 backupd-helper,CVMServer,diskarbitrationd,diskimages-helper,disk shutdownStall

2014-04-23 WindowServer spin

2014-04-23 diskarbitrationd,installd,mDNSResponder,sh,sleep,softwareupdated shutdownStall

2014-04-24 diskarbitrationd,installd,launchd,mDNSResponder,sh,sleep,SystemS shutdownStall

2014-04-28 PenTabletDriver crash

2014-04-29 Microsoft Excel hang

2014-04-29 diskarbitrationd,launchd,mDNSResponder,PenTabletDriver,sh,sleep, shutdownStall

2014-04-30 FaceTime spin

2014-04-30 WindowServer spin

2014-05-01 WindowServer spin

User diagnostics

2014-05-03 mdworker32 crash

Kernel messages

Apr 30 16:13:16 ERROR: couldn't open provider

May 1 12:49:35 process AAM Updates Noti[313] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 1022; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 46600

May 1 13:17:10 process WindowServer[147] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 204; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 56910

May 1 17:10:30 process MIDIServer[3193] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

May 2 09:44:12 process AAM Updates Noti[292] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 1124; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 50803

May 2 09:44:32 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 09:47:03 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #2, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 09:56:02 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

--- last message repeated 11 times ---

May 2 10:30:36 MacAuthEvent en1 Auth result for: 88:dc:96:14:11:48 Auth timed out

May 2 10:30:38 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #3, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 10:41:26 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

--- last message repeated 10 times ---

May 2 11:28:44 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #2, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 12:31:56 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 12:38:48 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #4, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 12:50:14 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

--- last message repeated 3 times ---

May 2 13:05:27 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #2, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 2 13:05:49 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 88:dc:96:14:11:48

May 4 09:50:04 AppleBCM5701Ethernet [en4]: 0 0 timeoutOccurred: recovering from dropping link-up change interrupt

com.avatron.AVExVideo (1.7)

com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (10.3.6f14)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (3.0.12)

com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard (5.9.1)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (3.0.12)

com.avatron.AVExFramebuffer (1.7)

Extrinsic daemons

com.wibu.CodeMeter.Server

com.seagate.TBDecorator.plist

com.paceap.pacesupport

com.paceap.eden.licensed

com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper

com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool

com.ONEDaemon.plist

com.kaspersky.kav

com.adobe.SwitchBoard

com.adobe.fpsaud

Extrinsic agents

com.wacom.pentablet

com.oracle.java.Java-Updater

com.m-audio.firewire2.user-agent

com.kaspersky.kav.gui

com.digidesign.mboxpro.helper

com.ApogeePopup.plist

com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager

com.akamai.single-user-client

com.akamai.client.plist

com.adobe.ARM.UUID

launchd items

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

(com.adobe.AAM.Startup-1.0)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager.plist

(com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ApogeePopup.plist

(com.ApogeePopup.plist )

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.mboxpro.helper.plist

(com.digidesign.mboxpro.helper)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.kaspersky.kav.gui.plist

(com.kaspersky.kav.gui)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.maudio.profire.helper.plist

(com.m-audio.firewire2.user-agent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

(com.oracle.java.Java-Updater)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.teamviewer.teamviewer.plist

(com.teamviewer.teamviewer)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.teamviewer.teamviewer_desktop.plist

(com.teamviewer.desktop)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wacom.pentablet.plist

(com.wacom.pentablet)

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist

(com.adobe.SwitchBoard)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.kaspersky.kav.plist

(com.kaspersky.kav)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.OneDaemon.plist

(com.ONEDaemon.plist)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

(com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist

(com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.paceap.eden.licensed.plist

(com.paceap.eden.licensed)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.teamviewer.teamviewer_service.plist

(com.teamviewer.service)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/PACESupport.plist

(com.paceap.pacesupport)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

(com.adobe.AAM.Scheduler-1.0)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.UUID.plist

(com.adobe.ARM.UUID)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.akamai.client.plist

(com.akamai.client.plist)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.akamai.single-user-client.plist

(com.akamai.single-user-client)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist

(com.apple.FolderActions.enabled)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist

(com.apple.FolderActions.folders)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.MobileMeSyncClientAgent.plist

(com.apple.MobileMeSyncClientAgent)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

(com.apple.Safari)

Startup items

/Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon/360ControlDaemon

/Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon/360Daemon

/Library/StartupItems/360ControlDaemon/StartupParameters.plist

/Library/StartupItems/DigidesignLoader/DigidesignLoader

/Library/StartupItems/DigidesignLoader/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.stri ngs

/Library/StartupItems/DigidesignLoader/StartupParameters.plist

/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/VirtualBox

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/HomeDirMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.SecurityAgentPlugin.HomeDirMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/KerberosAgent.bundle

(com.apple.KerberosAgent)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugins.loginwindowUI)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/MCXMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugin.MCXMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/PKINITMechanism.bundle

(com.apple.PKINITMechanism)

/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/RestartAuthorization.bundle

(com.apple.securityAgentPlugin.RestartAuthorization)

/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext

(com.mice.driver.Xbox360Controller)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle

(com.apple. AMDRadeonVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000.kext

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000)

/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/ApogeePopup.bundle

(com.apogee.ApogeePopup)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD5000Graphics)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHSWVA.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelHSWFBVA)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

(com.apple.AppleIntelIVBFBVA)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000GA)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

(com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000VADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/AVFrameBuffer.kext

(com.avatron.AVExFramebuffer)

/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext

(com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro)

/System/Library/Extensions/AVVideoCard.kext

(com.avatron.AVExVideo)

/System/Library/Extensions/CmUSBMassStorage.kext

(com.wibu.codemeter.CmUSBMassStorage)

/System/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

(com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal)

/System/Library/Extensions/EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

(com.epson.print.kext.USBPrintClass)

/System/Library/Extensions/Franklin Wireless Modem.kext

(com.fklt.driver.cdu680)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

(com.apple.GeForce)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin

(com.apple.GeForceGA)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext

(com.apple.GeForceTesla)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceTeslaGLDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceTeslaVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle

(com.apple.GeForceVADriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_designjet_series.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Designjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Deskjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Deskjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_fax_io.kext

(com.hp.kext.hp-fax-io)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet1_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet1.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet2_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet2.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet3_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet3.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet4_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet4.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet5_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet5.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet7_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet7.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet8_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.inkjet8.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet9_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet9.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Inkjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Inkjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_io_printerclassdriver_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp-io-printerclassdriver-enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Laserjet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Laserjet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Officejet_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Officejet.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_Photosmart_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.Photosmart.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_PhotosmartPro_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.print.hpio.PhotosmartPro.kext)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_psa640_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp_psa640_io_enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_qc_io_enabler.kext

(com.hp.hpio.hp_psa530_630_io_enabler)

/System/Library/Extensions/M-AudioFireWireDICE.kext

(com.m-audio.driver.firewire.dice)

/System/Library/Extensions/NikeSportWatch.kext

(com.nike.sportwatch)

/System/Library/Extensions/ONEMeteringPlugIn.kext

(com.apogee.electronics.driver.one.plugin)

/System/Library/Extensions/ONEPlugIn.bundle

(com.apogee.ONEPlugIn)

/System/Library/Extensions/ONEUSBOverideDriver.kext

(com.apogee.driver.ApogeeUSBONEAudio)

/System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext

(com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.master)

/System/Library/Extensions/Pen Tablet.kext

(com.wacom.kext.pentablet)

/System/Library/Extensions/Seagate Storage Driver.kext

(com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore)

/System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext

(com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite)

/System/Library/Extensions/TabletDriverCFPlugin.bundle

(No bundle ID)

/System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext

(com.mice.driver.Wireless360Controller)

/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext

(com.mice.driver.WirelessGamingReceiver)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Avid Mbox Pro MIDI.plugin

(com.avid.firewire.midi.mboxpro)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

(info.emagic.driver.unitor)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/M-Audio FWMIDI DICE.plugin

(com.m-audio.firewire.midi.dice)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Ambience.component

(com.smartelectronix.magnus.Ambience)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ARIA Player AU.component

(com.Garritan.ARIA Player AU)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/SmartMusicSoftSynth.component

(com.makemusic.audiounit.smartmusicsoftsynth)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/AirPlay.driver

(com.apple.audio.AirTunesHALPlugin)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/AppleAVBAudio.driver

(com.apple.audio.AppleAVBAudio)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Avid CoreAudio.plugin

(com.avid.avid.AvidCoreAudioPlugIn)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/BluetoothAudioPlugIn.driver

(com.apple.audio.BluetoothAudioPlugIn)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.driver

(com.apple.iSightAudio)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ARIA Player VST Multi.vst

(com.Garritan.ARIA Player VST Multi)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ARIA Player VST.vst

(com.Garritan.ARIA Player VST)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxDrvTiger.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxNetAdp.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxNetFlt.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxUSB.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB)

/Library/Extensions/VBoxUSBTiger.kext

(org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewerNPAPI)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin.plugin

(com.AmazonMP3DownloaderPluginLib.Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin

(com.apple.DefaultBrowser.PlugIn)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iLokClientHelper.plugin

(com.paceap.ilok.client.helper.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

(com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

(com.microsoft.officelive.browserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Quartz Composer.webplugin

(com.apple.QuartzComposer.webplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin

(com.apple.QuickTime Plugin.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomNetscape.plugin

(com.wacom.tabletplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomSafari.plugin

(com.wacom.safaritabletplugin)

/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins/Quartz Composer Visualizer.bundle

(com.apple.QuartzComposer.iTunesPlugIn)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Air Display Preferences.prefPane

(com.avatron.AirDisplayPrefPanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Avid Mbox Pro.prefPane

(com.avid.prefpane.{UUID})

/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

(com.growl.prefpanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

(com.oracle.java.JavaControlPanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/M-Audio ProFirePanel.prefPane

(com.m-audio.prefspanes.ProFirePanelTrampoline)

/Library/PreferencePanes/MacFUSE.prefPane

(com.google.MacFUSE)

/Library/PreferencePanes/NTFSforMacOSX.prefPane

(com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs.prefpanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/PenTablet.prefPane

(com.wacom.PenTabletSettingsPrefPane)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Pref360Control.prefPane

(com.mice.driver.360Controller.Prefs)

/Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component

(com.apple.AppleMPEG2Codec)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVI.component

(jp.co.canon.MJPEGAVIExporter)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component

(jp.co.canon.CanonMJPEGAVIDec)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonText.component

(jp.co.canon.Text)

/Library/QuickTime/DigiVout.component

(com.digidesign.digiVOUTcomponent)

/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

(No bundle ID)

/Library/Spotlight/Finale.mdimporter

(com.makemusic.MDImporter.Finale)

/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

(com.apple.garageband.spotlightimporter)

/Library/Spotlight/iBooksAuthor.mdimporter

(com.apple.MDImporter.iBooksAuthor)

/Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter

(com.apple.MDImporter.iWork)

/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter

(com.microsoft.MDImporter.Office)

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrCallABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrCallABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrMsnABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrMsnABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrSmsABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrSmsABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrYimABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrYimABPlugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/doubleTwistWebPlugin.bundle

(com.doubleTwist.webPlugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Move-Media-Player.plugin

(com.movenetworks.movemediaplayer.plugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WebEx.plugin

(com.webex.WebEx)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WebEx64.plugin

(com.cisco_webex.plugin.gpc64)

Library/PreferencePanes/AkamaiNetSession.prefPane

(com.yourcompany.AkamaiNetSession)

/usr/lib/dtrace/libdtrace_dyld.dylib

/usr/lib/libgmalloc.B.dylib

/usr/lib/libruby.2.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libUFSDNTFS.dylib

/usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib

Root crontab

*/20 * * * * /usr/share/prey/prey.sh > /var/log/prey.log 2>&1

Safari extensions

1-ClickWeather

Restricted user files: 159

Font problems: 45

Bad plists

Library/Preferences/com.bundgmbh.enterprisedigital.plist

Library/Preferences/com.CalleDesign.Appointment.plist

Library/Preferences/com.Corp.Infinisys.plist

Library/Preferences/com.crocegermany.galvanic.plist

Library/Preferences/com.ELETechnology.Enterprisedigital.plist

Library/Preferences/com.entmen.argue.plist

Library/Preferences/com.INGGmbH.MarketZ.plist

Library/Preferences/com.Prorionline.Social.plist

Library/Preferences/com.superitis.pisolite.plist

Keychains file count: 8

Elapsed time (s): 328

May 15, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. I've also run into high kernel task usage with sluggishness and a loud fan. I've got an older machine, but the behavior has changed in recent weeks.

Even in safe mode kernel_task is taking over 100%.

I ran your diagnostic, and any suggestions are more than welcome.

-----------

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)

Model: MacBookPro3,1

Total RAM (GB): 2

RAM details

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB

Speed: 667 MHz

Manufacturer: 0xCE00000000000000

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 1 GB

Speed: 667 MHz

Manufacturer: 0xCE00000000000000

System diagnostics

2014-05-01 PluginProcess spin

2014-05-02 PluginProcess spin

2014-05-04 PrinterProxy spin

2014-05-12 WindowServer spin

2014-05-13 CalendarAgent,launchd,ubd shutdownStall

2014-05-13 PluginProcess spin

2014-05-13 WindowServer spin

2014-05-13 launchd,ubd shutdownStall

2014-05-14 SystemStarter shutdownStall

2014-05-14 WindowServer spin

User diagnostics

2014-04-19 QuickLookSatellite crash

2014-04-19 VLC crash

2014-04-29 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent crash

2014-05-04 VLC crash

Kernel messages

--- last message repeated 15 times ---

May 14 20:41:33 ARPT cannot assert wake from D3cold

May 14 20:41:33 ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

May 14 22:08:14 ARPT cannot assert wake from D3cold

May 14 22:08:14 ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

May 14 22:08:48 AppleLMUController::smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'ALRV'.

May 14 22:09:11 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4574

May 14 22:09:11 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4607

--- last message repeated 16 times ---

May 14 22:38:57 process WindowServer[101] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 164; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 158449

May 14 23:07:01 ARPT cannot assert wake from D3cold

May 14 23:07:01 ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

May 14 23:07:40 AppleLMUController::smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'ALRV'.

May 14 23:07:47 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4574

May 14 23:07:48 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4607

May 15 00:35:27 ARPT cannot assert wake from D3cold

May 15 00:35:27 ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

May 15 00:36:20 AppleLMUController::smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'ALRV'.

May 15 00:36:26 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4574

May 15 00:36:26 Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 4607

Total CPU usage: user 2%, system 52%

CPU usage by process "sysmond" with UID 0: 3.2%

Extrinsic daemons

com.google.keystone.daemon

com.adobe.fpsaud

Extrinsic agents

com.maintain.SystemEvents

com.hp.help.tocgenerator

com.google.keystone.system.agent

com.spotify.webhelper

com.adobe.ARM.UUID

launchd items

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

(com.google.keystone.system.agent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.help.tocgenerator.plist

(com.hp.help.tocgenerator)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.PurgeInactiveMemory.plist

(com.maintain.PurgeInactiveMemory)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.maintain.SystemEvents.plist

(com.maintain.SystemEvents)

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

(com.google.keystone.daemon)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.UUID.plist

(com.adobe.ARM.UUID)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

(com.apple.Safari)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.spotify.webhelper.plist

(com.spotify.webhelper)

Startup items

/Library/StartupItems/HP IO/HP IO

/Library/StartupItems/HP IO/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

/Library/StartupItems/HP IO/Resources/version.plist

/System/Library/Extensions/AirPhonesSpeakers.kext

(com.smashart.driver.AirPhonesSpeakers)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

(info.emagic.driver.unitor)

/Library/Components/FLACImport.component

(No bundle ID)

/Library/Components/XiphQT.component

(org.xiph.xiph-qt.xiphqt)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin101750.plugin

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

(net.telestream.wmv.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/GarminGpsControl.plugin

(com.garmin.GarminGpsControl)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

(com.Google.GoogleEarthPlugin.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

(com.google.googletalkbrowserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/o1dbrowserplugin.plugin

(com.google.o1dbrowserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unused/SpeedDownload Browser Plugin.plugin

(com.yazsoft.browserplugin)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flip4Mac WMV.prefPane

(net.telestream.wmv.prefpane)

/Library/QuickTime/FLACImport.component

(No bundle ID)

/Library/QuickTime/XiphQT.component

(org.xiph.xiph-qt.xiphqt)

/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

(com.apple.garageband.spotlightimporter)

/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter

(com.apple.MDImporter.iWeb)

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/A52Codec.component

(com.shepmater.A52Codec)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/huludesktop.webplugin

(com.hulu.desktop.plugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Move-Media-Player.plugin

(com.movenetworks.movemediaplayer.plugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SOEWebInstaller.plugin

(com.sony.soe.WebInstallerPlugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WebEx.plugin

(com.webex.WebEx)

Library/PreferencePanes/Perian.prefPane

(org.perian.PerianPane)

Library/PreferencePanes/VLC Streamer.prefPane

(com.HobbyistSoftware.VLCStreamPrefs)

Library/QuickTime/AC3MovieImport.component

(com.cod3r.ac3movieimport)

Library/QuickTime/Perian.component

(org.perian.Perian)

/usr/lib/libruby.2.0.0.dylib

Proxies

AppleProxyConfigurationSelected : 2

Restricted user files: 253

Font problems: 45

Bad plists

Library/Preferences/com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist

Library/Preferences/com.freeverse.tikimagicminigolf.plist

Elapsed time (s): 461

Jul 27, 2014 2:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc judging from above I have also run the same test. Here are my results. Any idea of whats wrong would greatly help me. I also have just recently replaced the hardrive.

System Version: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.3.0

Model: MacBookPro9,2

Battery cycles: 694

System diagnostics

2014-07-26 plugin-container spin

2014-07-26 plugin-container spin

2014-07-27 WindowServer spin

Kernel messages

WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 60138 xpmapped pages

Jul 26 22:47:45

Jul 26 22:47:57 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 100356 xpmapped pages

Jul 26 23:06:31 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 141044 xpmapped pages

Jul 26 23:26:14 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 181891 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 00:15:25 [IOBluetoothHCIController][EnqueueRequestForController] -- SendHCIRequestToTransport failed, error (0xE00002D8) -- kIOReturnNotReady

Jul 27 00:15:25 [SendHCIRequestFormatted] ### ERROR: EnqueueRequestForController failed (err=0xe00002d8 (kIOReturnNotReady)) for opCode 0x0c3f (Set AFH Host Channel Classification)

Jul 27 00:15:37 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 234583 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 01:22:09 PM notification timeout (pid 575, iTunes)

Jul 27 01:22:16 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 234583 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 01:22:33 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 267573 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 09:25:23 process taskgated[13] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 3102; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45037

Jul 27 11:54:27 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 26457 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 13:51:19 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 68073 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 14:16:12 process WindowServer[101] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 189; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 153823

Jul 27 15:03:27 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 68073 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 15:03:35 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 123398 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 15:08:17 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 178732 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 15:43:35 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 235440 xpmapped pages

Jul 27 16:21:11 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 74:44:01:1d:72:77

Extrinsic daemons

com.adobe.fpsaud

launchd items

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.UUID. plist

(com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.UUID)

Modified periodic scripts

/etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps

/etc/periodic/daily/130.clean-msgs

/etc/periodic/daily/140.clean-rwho

/etc/periodic/daily/199.clean-fax

/etc/periodic/daily/310.accounting

/etc/periodic/daily/400.status-disks

/etc/periodic/daily/420.status-network

/etc/periodic/daily/430.status-rwho

/etc/periodic/daily/999.local

/etc/periodic/monthly/199.rotate-fax

/etc/periodic/monthly/200.accounting

/etc/periodic/monthly/999.local

/etc/periodic/weekly/320.whatis

/etc/periodic/weekly/999.local

Safari extensions

Searchme

Restricted user files: 94

Elapsed time (s): 84

Sep 21, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

Here's my results to the test. Any feedback would be most welcome...

System Version: OS X 10.9.5 (13F14)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.4.0

System diagnostics

2014-09-18 Google Chrome spin

2014-09-18 Google Chrome spin

2014-09-19 CVMCompiler,CVMServer,launchd,WindowServer shutdownStall

2014-09-19 Google Chrome Helper spin

2014-09-19 Google Chrome Helper spin

2014-09-19 vmware-vmx spin

2014-09-20 Google Chrome Helper spin

2014-09-20 Google Chrome spin

2014-09-21 loginwindow spin

2014-09-21 smcFanControl spin

User diagnostics

2014-09-03 Google Chrome Helper crash

2014-09-03 SystemUIServer crash

2014-09-07 wget crash

2014-09-07 wget crash

2014-09-14 PluginProcess crash

Kernel messages

Sep 21 09:14:33 process Google Chrome He[5949] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 09:23:41 process Google Chrome He[5970] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 09:36:26 process Google Chrome He[6003] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 09:41:19 process Google Chrome He[6016] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 09:54:49 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 254984 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 09:55:22 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 324272 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 09:55:47 en1: Error configuring antenna diversity (index = -1).

Sep 21 09:55:47 en1: Error configuring transmit antenna (index = -1).

Sep 21 09:58:18 en1: Error configuring antenna diversity (index = -1).

Sep 21 09:58:18 en1: Error configuring transmit antenna (index = -1).

Sep 21 10:36:46 process Google Chrome He[481] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 10:44:07 process Google Chrome He[517] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

Sep 21 10:53:23 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 16196 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 10:54:10 en1: Error configuring antenna diversity (index = -1).

Sep 21 10:54:10 en1: Error configuring transmit antenna (index = -1).

Sep 21 11:15:51 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 16196 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 11:16:13 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 79717 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 11:58:47 en1: Error configuring antenna diversity (index = -1).

Sep 21 11:58:47 en1: Error configuring transmit antenna (index = -1).

Sep 21 12:01:20 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 74:44:01:58:ff:d7

Sep 21 12:41:04 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 79717 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 12:41:26 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 143542 xpmapped pages

Sep 21 13:02:31 en1: Error configuring antenna diversity (index = -1).

Sep 21 13:02:31 en1: Error configuring transmit antenna (index = -1).

foo.tap (1.0)

foo.tun (1.0)

Extrinsic daemons

Extrinsic agents

net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick.LaunchAtLogin

launchd items

Library/LaunchAgents/net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick.LaunchAtLogin.plist

(net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick.LaunchAtLogin)

Startup items

/Library/StartupItems/tap/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

/Library/StartupItems/tap/tap

/Library/StartupItems/tun/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

/Library/StartupItems/tun/tun

/System/Library/Extensions/BeceemAppleWiMAXAdapter.kext

(com.beceem.BeceemAppleWiMAXAdapter)

/System/Library/Extensions/DIFMCDFree.kext

(com.devguru.driver.DIFMCDFree)

/System/Library/Extensions/DIFMSerial.kext

(com.devguru.driver.DIFMSerial)

/System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

(com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver)

/System/Library/Extensions/KeyspanUSAdriver.kext

(com.keyspan.iokit.usb.KeyspanUSAdriver)

/Library/Extensions/tap.kext

(foo.tap)

/Library/Extensions/tun.kext

(foo.tun)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobeAAMDetect.plugin

(com.AdobeAAMDetectLib.AdobeAAMDetect)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewerNPAPI)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DirectorShockwave.plugin

(com.adobe.director.shockwave.pluginshim)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DivX Web Player.plugin

(com.divx.DivXWebPlayer)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

(com.google.googletalkbrowserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/o1dbrowserplugin.plugin

(com.google.o1dbrowserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/OVSHelper.plugin

(com.divx.OVSHelper)

/Library/Mail/Bundles/GPGMail.mailbundle

(org.gpgtools.gpgmail)

/Library/PreferencePanes/GPGPreferences.prefPane

(org.gpgtools.gpgpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

(com.growl.prefpanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Microsoft Mouse.prefPane

(com.microsoft.microsoftmouse)

/Library/PreferencePanes/MySQL.prefPane

(com.mysql.prefpane)

/Library/QuickTime/XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component

(com.yourcompany.XviD_Codec)

/Library/Services/GPGServices.service

(org.gpgtools.gpgservices)

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrCallABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrCallABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrMsnABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrMsnABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrSmsABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrSmsABPlugin)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/YMsgrYimABPlugin.bundle

(com.yahoo.YMsgrYimABPlugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/FacebookVideoCalling.bundle

(com.skype.FacebookVideoCalling)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Picasa.plugin

(com.google.PicasaPlugin)

/usr/lib/libgutenprint.2.dylib

/usr/lib/libQtCLucene.4.8.5.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_client-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_delta-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_diff-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_fs-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_fs_fs-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_fs_util-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_ra-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_local-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_neon-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_ra_svn-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_repos-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_subr-1.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/lib/libsvn_wc-1.0.0.0.dylib

hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

Application check

com.google.GoogleDrive

Restricted user files: 23387

Font problems: 48

Desktop file count: 30

Elapsed time (s): 197

Sep 25, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Any chance you could provide feedback per your diagnostics test. I am in need of a new battery but have been reluctant to replace it as I am always plugged in. I would be willing to replace the battery if it cured my woes of course. Thanks for any feedback.

System Version: OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.4.0

Model: MacBookPro7,1

boot-args: -v keepsyms=y

System diagnostics

2014-09-23 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent spin

2014-09-24 WindowServer spin

2014-09-25 UserEventAgent crash

2014-09-25 WindowServer spin

2014-09-25 WindowServer spin

2014-09-25 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent spin

2014-09-25 rpcsvchost spin

2014-09-25 rpcsvchost spin

User diagnostics

2014-09-25 com.apple.WebKit.Networking crash

2014-09-25 fontd crash

Kernel messages

Sep 23 09:56:16 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 131126 xpmapped pages

Sep 23 11:24:54 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 174744 xpmapped pages

Sep 23 15:11:14 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #4, bssid 00:1d:d3:7c:9a:a0

Sep 23 20:30:29 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 18669 xpmapped pages

Sep 24 08:39:35 process WindowServer[93] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 202; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 192364

Sep 24 09:27:00 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #4, bssid 00:1d:d3:7c:9a:a0

Sep 24 10:38:03 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #8, bssid 00:1d:d3:7c:9a:a0

Sep 24 10:59:00 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 18669 xpmapped pages

Sep 24 10:59:21 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 50629 xpmapped pages

Sep 24 11:07:17 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 82599 xpmapped pages

Sep 24 13:13:31 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 115719 xpmapped pages

Sep 24 15:02:40 process rpcsvchost[96] thread 717 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 58%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.021038 seconds, (71.271479 user, 18.749559 system) ledger info: balance: 90007086703 credit: 90007086703 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 154655717674

Sep 25 08:40:26 process rpcsvchost[90] thread 706 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 61%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.015570 seconds, (71.438204 user, 18.577366 system) ledger info: balance: 90001307753 credit: 90001307753 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 146961814773

Sep 25 11:47:56 process com.apple.WebKit[224] thread 1832 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 56%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.215750 seconds, (88.376120 user, 1.839630 system) ledger info: balance: 90004435432 credit: 90004435432 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 159679379922

Sep 25 13:44:49 WARNING: hibernate_page_list_setall skipped 16543 xpmapped pages

Sep 25 15:35:14 process WindowServer[89] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 161; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 446212

Sep 25 16:47:51 wl0: Roamed or switched channel, reason #4, bssid 00:1d:d3:7c:9a:a0

Sep 25 17:30:30 process rpcsvchost[94] thread 717 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 59%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.021828 seconds, (71.335691 user, 18.686137 system) ledger info: balance: 90008852380 credit: 90008852380 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 152450351946

Sep 25 17:44:26 process WindowServer[88] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 507; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 98462

Sep 25 17:46:36 process pmset[496] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 48598; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 1000013

Total CPU usage: user 16%, system 9%

CPU usage by process "com.apple.WebKit" with UID 501: 7.4%

Modified periodic scripts

/etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps

/etc/periodic/daily/130.clean-msgs

/etc/periodic/daily/140.clean-rwho

/etc/periodic/daily/199.clean-fax

/etc/periodic/daily/310.accounting

/etc/periodic/daily/400.status-disks

/etc/periodic/daily/420.status-network

/etc/periodic/daily/430.status-rwho

/etc/periodic/daily/999.local

/etc/periodic/monthly/199.rotate-fax

/etc/periodic/monthly/200.accounting

/etc/periodic/monthly/999.local

/etc/periodic/weekly/320.whatis

/etc/periodic/weekly/999.local

Restricted user files: 2

Elapsed time (s): 167

Macbook Pro Running Slow and Overheating, High kernel_task CPU Usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.