Previous 1 2 Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2014 1:13 PM by cbhvb
jasonfissure Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ever since ios 7.1 on my ipad (4th gen), I can no longer download SD versions of movies I've purchased in itunes.  Before ios 7.1, you could search for the movie you purchased, tap the SD button next to the HD button which would be highlighted by default, and then you would be presented with a DOWNLOAD button.  Now, I am presented with a WATCH button that takes me to my "Purchased" list of movies.  In there, there is no longer any option to select SD.  I can only download an HD version.  Does anyone know how to do this on an ipad since ios 7.1 has changed it?

Windows 7
  • fresh_phish Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ya. ***? I noticed the same problem. Most iPads sold or won in my case are only 16GB. 16GB is way too small to fit apps and an HD movie or 2, and you can forget about pictures and music added to that. Before iOS 7.1 I could easily download the SD version by going to previously purchased movies and selecting SD instead of HD.

I would sure like to know when there will be a fix for this.

• jasonfissure Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yeah, I'm not encouraged.  All I've been able to find is instructions from Apple support people saying "You can still download the SD version from the full itunes program (not the app) and then sync it across."  Although that does get you there, we used to be able to download SD versions direct to our iPads.  The current system seems arbitrary and/or punitive, as if they are trying to change our behavior or discourage us.

• egunther Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My family noticed it too. It's frustrating because I had to work to gt my wife off of DVDs and on to iTunes. Now she's wanting to go back since this issue makes it impossible to access our movie library on our iPads due to limited space. HD is NOT necessary on iPads. Apple, please bring back the SD option on high dev movies.

• cmbucci Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is back in ios 7.1.1. Yay!!!  

• fresh_phish Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It still only gives me the option to "watch" only. How do I select which definition and to download?

• hexonxonx Level 4 Level 4 (2,455 points)

You do this through iTunes and then sync the SD copy to the iPad.

Yes, you can download SD versions in the full iTunes application, but, that is not the issue.  Everyone used to be able to puy HD versions of movies and then download SD versions of those movies directly to an iPad.  For some reason, this has been removed.  I'd like that ability to be restored. 

cmbucci, where do you see this in ios 7.1.1?

It's been longer than 7.1 because I've had an iPad for nearly a year now and since 6.1.3 there was no way to download SD versions that I could see.

I stand corrected.  I still have the probem.  After upgrading to 7.1.1 I randomly selected a movie to see if the feature was back and it was, for that specific movie.  If you acutally search out the movie in the iTunes store, rather than going to the "purchased" section, you will see (at least for me) the ability to download SD versions of some movies. I can't seem to find any pattern to what can or cannot be done. Is it movies purchased in iTunes, or Digital copies, or certian movie houses? I suspect it has somthing to do with the license, but cannot say for sure. :-(

I did also notice that some movies in the "purchased" section have the typical cloud download icon versus others that have the "watch" button. It seems that the ones with the cloud download icon (cloud and down arrow) are the ones that can be searched out and SD copies downloaded.

• Riles03 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Does anyone know if there is a way to just download the SD version straight to the device and not the HD version without having to go on iTunes on the computer to do this? My iTunes and computer have crashed and all I can use is my iPad and need the movie as a teaching resource.

You have to use iTunes and then sync the iPad. You have yo check the box that says prefer SD versions.

• Riles03 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Darn, that *****! I have no way to do that with iTunes not opening on my computer because there is a problem with the C drive. Thank you though!

Previous 1 2 Next