Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download SD version of HD movie

Ever since ios 7.1 on my ipad (4th gen), I can no longer download SD versions of movies I've purchased in itunes. Before ios 7.1, you could search for the movie you purchased, tap the SD button next to the HD button which would be highlighted by default, and then you would be presented with a DOWNLOAD button. Now, I am presented with a WATCH button that takes me to my "Purchased" list of movies. In there, there is no longer any option to select SD. I can only download an HD version. Does anyone know how to do this on an ipad since ios 7.1 has changed it?

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 8:36 PM

21 replies

Nov 2, 2017 11:10 PM in response to jasonfissure

I know this question is A few years old, but if anyone stumbles on this post, below is the answer as of November 2017, IOS 11.1.

cmbucci hit the answer. I tried changing my preferences in settings to SD but that did not work for me. I had to search for the movie I wanted in the store part, not under purchases. Once you find the movie you want in the store, scroll to the bottom and you will see a link that says it is also available in SD. Click that link and it will change to say it is available in higher quality. Leave it so it says it is available in a higher quality and then scroll back up and click the cloud icon to download. When you go to your downloads you will see it downloads the SD version by the smaller file size.

Hope me this helps others since this was the only place I found the right answer. I am primarily a Windows user so this is all new to me. Apple should really keeps things uniform across its devices and show the link to download SD or HD on mobile devices since they don’t offer a slot to increase memory like almost every other device out there.

Apr 11, 2014 7:24 PM in response to jasonfissure

Ya. ***? I noticed the same problem. Most iPads sold or won in my case are only 16GB. 16GB is way too small to fit apps and an HD movie or 2, and you can forget about pictures and music added to that. Before iOS 7.1 I could easily download the SD version by going to previously purchased movies and selecting SD instead of HD.

I would sure like to know when there will be a fix for this.

Apr 12, 2014 1:49 PM in response to fresh_phish

Yeah, I'm not encouraged. All I've been able to find is instructions from Apple support people saying "You can still download the SD version from the full itunes program (not the app) and then sync it across." Although that does get you there, we used to be able to download SD versions direct to our iPads. The current system seems arbitrary and/or punitive, as if they are trying to change our behavior or discourage us.

Apr 24, 2014 6:42 PM in response to jasonfissure

I stand corrected. I still have the probem. After upgrading to 7.1.1 I randomly selected a movie to see if the feature was back and it was, for that specific movie. If you acutally search out the movie in the iTunes store, rather than going to the "purchased" section, you will see (at least for me) the ability to download SD versions of some movies. I can't seem to find any pattern to what can or cannot be done. Is it movies purchased in iTunes, or Digital copies, or certian movie houses? I suspect it has somthing to do with the license, but cannot say for sure. :-(

download SD version of HD movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.