Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent Audio Output on iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1

I recently upgraded my phone to iOS 7.1. Since the upgrade my audio will play to a source for short periods, then stop. The audio source will still be outputting (i.e. Music will still be playing, not paused) but there will be no audio. This seems to be more common with the speaker, which is very annoying as I am missing messages and phone calls because they don't ring, but also happens with my wired headphones as well. If I am using the wired headphones when this happens, I can un-plug them, plug them back in and the issue resolves itself. However I cannot do this with the speaker for obvious reasons. Often when I am using the lock screen, the first few clicks will be audible, but the last one or two will not. Likely unrelated, my battery life has significantly been reduced by the update.

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions,

Jason Murray

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 16, 2014 11:37 PM

1 reply

Mar 18, 2014 11:11 PM in response to TheCanadianBaker

After reviewing several more suggestions, I found a YouTube video that described the issue and resolved it by cleaning the dock connector. I was skeptical, but I had noticed that immediatly after charging or using my dock that the audio would be back temporarily. After cleaning the dock port, the issue appeared to be resolved temporarily, but appears to have returned again. I will clean it well and then test again to see if it resolves the issue permanantly. So far this seems to have provided the best result.

Intermittent Audio Output on iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.