Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library on WD MyCloud

Hi All,

I'll start from the beginning: I own an iMac which has mavericks installed, an iPhone5s, iPad, Apple TV and both my wife & daughter also have iPhones.

Due to all three of us owning iDevices our family iMac (which I also use for web design) is drastically running out of storage space! I currently use time machine to backup all data on to a external hard drive and want to keep that drive for that purpose only.

I purchased a WD MyCloud Hard Drive at the weekend with the idea of moving our iTunes and also iPhoto libraries onto it. This would leave us with an iMac that is no longer running out of storage space. This device is a 3tb network enabled cloud storage drive.

Basically I understand what I need to do in order to get my libraries onto the drive, I'm just really looking for assurance that it'll work and whether or not people have done this before.

I want to be able to still purchase music, movies and apps with iTunes, sync our iDevices and use my Apple TV still - will this all work?

Also when I backup to my external hard drive will the MyCloud device be included? As this will house my iTunes and iPhoto libraries...?

Appreciate any advice and help!

Thanks LiamS

iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPad and Apple

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 6:10 AM

To make sure you do understand how to move your libraries, you do not do it in preferences. You do it by copying the whole iTunes folder and then starting iTunes with the option key held down and guiding it to the new location of the library.itl file on the external.

You will need to reformat the drive to a Mac compatible format first.

The drive will always have to be on and mounted before using iTunes.

Your backup should include your external as long as you have it all correctly configured. It's too nebulous at this stage to comment on specifics.

In theory all should work as planned. In reality you would have to hope somebody who uses the exact same device as yours in the same way comes by the forum and responds. Sometimes problems with external devices are not so much related to iTunes use as general network or Mac compatibility problems and you'll likely see more posts on that in other forums or even other support sites (such as for the manufacturer's site).

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 6:10 AM in response to liam p

To make sure you do understand how to move your libraries, you do not do it in preferences. You do it by copying the whole iTunes folder and then starting iTunes with the option key held down and guiding it to the new location of the library.itl file on the external.

You will need to reformat the drive to a Mac compatible format first.

The drive will always have to be on and mounted before using iTunes.

Your backup should include your external as long as you have it all correctly configured. It's too nebulous at this stage to comment on specifics.

In theory all should work as planned. In reality you would have to hope somebody who uses the exact same device as yours in the same way comes by the forum and responds. Sometimes problems with external devices are not so much related to iTunes use as general network or Mac compatibility problems and you'll likely see more posts on that in other forums or even other support sites (such as for the manufacturer's site).

Mar 17, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks Limnos.

Yeah that was my thought process for moving my itunes library - I was going to do the exact same with my iPhoto library too!

I'm going to leave until the weekend as that gives me ample time to look around on forums.

I'm a little dubious about reformatting as it's a nas drive and comes compatible my osx. It's new WD Personal Cloud drive so comes with apps etc.

Nevertheless thanks for the advice!

Mar 15, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Limnos

Same kind of issue here...thoroughly confused by the final result in Itunes though...

I had (still have) my main Itunes library on an external 2gb Passport drive... been that way for ages and all fine but i recently purchased a WD 4TB Mycloud drive as I wanted to share my media with Apple TV AND an Amazon Fire TV (Bought AFTV because ATV doesnt support Amazon Prime Media) so wanted to migrate my Itunes media onto that as the sole device which means I can stream without tying up the MAC for AFTV plus with a Gigabit connection it should ensure optimum streaming for me as the Passport drive is connected via FW.

So I initially I just changed the Preferences to point to the WD MyCoud drive and selected Yes to the keep things organised (as it said to do here : iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder - Apple Support ) ... to me that meant my media was on the WD drive but that the library files .ITL etc were still on the passport drive. Everything went over ok but I have noticed that a lot of the media when I do cmd-I it shows it as being on the passport drive still (I haven't deleted it from there yet just in case i lose things!) ..and some of it shows the WDMycloud file location .... confusing...so I have no idea where it is serving the media from ...but want it all to be from the WD Device

Should it not have updated everything to have the 'file' location be the WD MyCloud drive though ?

I'm tempted to delete ALL the items in Itunes and move them all to trash and simply get it to rescan everything.... as a check I did move my old ITUNES passport folder to Trash but whatever I do it seems to know where this data is and it uses the new path (even .trash/... ) in the Info for the items...aarrghhh

Somewhat confused about whats going on I confess...

I have also tried moving the .ITL file to the WDMyCloud drive and doing the Alt click as I open Itunes and having it Change the library to the WDMyCloud but that doesnt seem to make any difference to things above...

Its all very very confusing .... should be simpler than this should it not...

Jun 12, 2015 4:31 PM in response to liam p

I have migrated my iTunes library file and media files to 6tb My Cloud. The big issue for me is that when I boot up the Mac it cannot find the iTunes file automatically. I have to click on the WDMy Cloud Public Alias icon and re-connect the folder then find the iTunes library file and start up iTunes. Not something I want to do everyday. iTunes worked fine on an external seagate drive (2tb) but won't walk seamlessly on the WD My Cloud NAS. It looks like the WD My Cloud is going to be either a 6TB brick or somewhere I can dump archive files or backups.

In short, the WD My Cloud was a big disappointment. I obviously didn't spend enough time researching what it could do. The problem became obvious after I got it and hot Google for the solution - there doesn't seem to be one.

iTunes library on WD MyCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.