Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

switch to iPhoto library option no longer shows

I'm using Aperture 3.5.1 on Mavericks 10.9.2, with iPhoto 9.5.1.

Both have been working fine together, until now - when suddenly the option to switch to my iPhoto library has disappeared from Aperture.

Edit > Switch to Library now only shows Other/new, where previously iPhoto was the first option (appearing separately, above).

The set up is on an external drive, with the iPhoto library on a partition. I have a clone of this external drive, for backups. The clone has not been updated since the problem appeared, so it should not have the same problem. However, when I booted from the clone, and launched Aperture, the same thing now shows: the switch to iPhoto option is gone.

I've tried deleting the preference file, but it made no difference.

What could have suddenly happened? And any ideas how to fix it?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 2:16 AM

8 replies

Mar 17, 2014 4:45 AM in response to citroenDS

That list is just a list of other libraries you have recently used. If you haven't used it for a while or if the drive that the library is on was not mounted when you ran Aperture it is possible for a library to be bumped from the list.

Also if you deleted the preference file the list would be chnaged.

It is only a convenience for the user, a quick way to get to other recently used libraries and, as you saw, does not prevent you from opening the library.

I woudn;t worry about it at this point, if it happens often and for none of the reasons I listed above it might be wort looking into.

regards

Mar 17, 2014 4:59 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for the feedback, Frank.

None of the situations you describe apply in this case, unfortunately. I use the iPhoto library regularly, the iPhoto library is mounted on the same external drive (on the other partition) as Aperture and the OS, and I only deleted the pref file after the iPhoto option had disappeared.

It's a relief to get the option back in the menu, and so easily, but I can't see why it disappeared in the first place - let alone on a backup setup as well.

Mar 17, 2014 5:10 AM in response to citroenDS

let alone on a backup setup as well.

The information displayed is kept in your preference file not in the library. So that it also happened with a backup of the library has no bearing on the situation.

You're setup seems to be somewhat unorthodox (as best as I can make out from your description) but as I wrote if it is a one time thing I wouldn;t worry about it.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Mar 17, 2014 6:46 AM in response to citroenDS

The majority of users run from the internal drive both for speed and because that is the default. Having the root drive on a external is not the norm, that is what makes your setup unorthodox.

Not sure why you took offense at that, but its Monday so who knows.

Anyway as I wrote having the Switch to library list reset is no big deal unless it happens frequently in which case it might signal more server problems.

switch to iPhoto library option no longer shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.