Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help. How do I convert my MiniDv's to DVD? IMovie & IDVD

I have IMovie and IDVD, can I use these to burn the MiniDv's to a DVD? I don't need clips, I just want them converted to a DVD and do not want to pay anyone to convert them as I have about 20 of these. Do I need any other program? I'm not too familiar with the IDVD program but can learn if I have a bit of help. I have an IMac 10.6.8 version, if that matters at all.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it! 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 3:41 PM

Yes, it's possible. What Mac do you have? What version of iMovie?

Generally, you'll go from 4-pin Firewire on the camera to Firewire 800, and then if you have a Thunderbolt Mac, you'll need a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. But you'll need to post which Mac you have to know for sure.

12 replies

Mar 20, 2014 8:31 AM in response to nheller13

Yup, you'll need the Firewire cable. You may also need the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter if you iMac has Thunderbolt instead of Firewire.

Also, and this is just a suggestion, consider if you really need DVDs. If you're giving copies away, then yeah, DVDs may be convinient. But if these are for home use, consider getting an AppleTV. It's a MUCH better experience for watching home movies and photos on your HDTV.

Mar 20, 2014 9:00 AM in response to nheller13

"I have IMovie and IDVD, can I use these to burn the MiniDv's to a DVD? I don't need clips, I just want them converted to a DVD"

If by this you mean you don't want to edit your tapes in iMovie ie you just want the tapes put onto a DVD, "warts and all", then you can use just iDVD.

Open iDVD and select the option OneStep DVD.

I have not used this particular function in iDVD but it looks straight forward.Just connect your camcorder to the Mac, insert disc and go.It will rewind tape to the start if required.

As I have not used OneStep DVD I do not know what DVD menu options you have so you may have to experiment.

You may be able to test with a DVD- RW disc to see if it gives you what you want before wasting too many discs.

You will still need the cables mentioned above.

Mar 21, 2014 9:41 AM in response to nheller13

No .This one is 9 pin to 9 pin.

This is the type you need.

http://www.amazon.com/CiTi-FireWire-Cable-IEEE-1394B-Firewire/dp/B002U5F56W/ref= sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395418260&sr=8-2&keywords=firewire+800+9+pin+to+4+pin

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-6-Feet-BILINGUAL-FireWire-100328/dp/B001W5IPCM/r ef=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1395418598&sr=8-16&keywords=firewire+800+9+pin+to+4+pin

I have not used these makes of cable as I live in England but I have seen the Monoprice name mentioned several times on these pages so suggest you go for the second listed here.Belkin is a good brand but a bit more expensive.

Avoid any carrying the Rocketfish name as they have appeared on these discussions as unreliable .

Just noticed another Monoprice cable (a bit longer ) cheaper at $ 7.62 and free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10-Feet-BILINGUAL-FireWire-100329/dp/B001V8BH6G/ ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1395419738&sr=8-11&keywords=firewire+800+9+pin+to+4+pin

Please help. How do I convert my MiniDv's to DVD? IMovie & IDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.