Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my finder column to the left disappeared. I don't know how to retrieve it. (the list of options such as "desktop," "documents," etc

my finder column to the left disappeared. I don't know how to retrieve it. (the list of options such as "desktop," "documents," etc).

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 10:58 AM

And the simple solution: 'Alt-Cmd-S' to toggle the Navigation Column ;-)

6 replies

Mar 17, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Alfie's Girl

Try this:

With Finder active, click Finder in the menu bar and select Preferences. Next click Sidebar. Check (or uncheck) a few items, and close this window. You can go back to Sidebar to make sure you have selected everything you want.

And reset the NVRAM:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

excerpt from: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Mar 17, 2014 10:19 AM in response to Alfie's Girl

If that doesn't work, in Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by logging out/in and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

my finder column to the left disappeared. I don't know how to retrieve it. (the list of options such as "desktop," "documents," etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.