Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.10 cannot entirely block cookies?

Hi,

Using Safari 5.1.10 (on a MacBook Pro 10.6.8) I have not been able to stop Safari from collecting cookies.

Even if I've selected 'always' in the 'preferences/privacy/block cookies' dialog box, they still get collected.

On my previous MacBook/Safari this didn't happen.

What gives?

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 7:29 AM

The website data shown isn't just cookies, but cache, plugin, local storage too, which isn't affected by the 'block cookies' setting.

4 replies

Mar 17, 2014 8:38 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Yes, this is interesting in a small way.

I blocked cookies and then went to CNN.com, 15 items listed as 'cache' appeared right away, then another 10 when I went on NYTimes.com. Some listed as 'cache, cookies'. Going to WashingtonPost.com added another 32 items. BBC.com 47 items. NPR only one item. Seems like much of it is connected to ads.

I closed those pages and deleted everthing except the 2 apple cookies. Went on elpais.com, which loaded one item listed as 'cookies'... perhaps 'cache' is a rude word in Spanish so they have to call it cookie instead.

Like I mentioned, if I blocked cookies on my earlier MacBook this stuff didn't get listed, but there was perhaps the same cacheing going on anyway.

Safari 5.1.10 cannot entirely block cookies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.