Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning a DVD in Toast 11

O.K., so I took a chance and bought Toast 11. Here's my problem.

I created a short test clip in iMovie on my new iMac running Mavericks and Apple Superdirive DVD player/burner. I opened up Toast 11 and went to Video and selected DVD. I dragged the video in to Toast (looked to be a mp4 file I think). Placed a menu screen and everything seemed fine. I'm not trying to burn a HD, or Blu-Ray disk. Just a DVD that will play on all players. Well, I burned the DVD and was able to play it on my PC and Apple computer. I attempted to play it on my Blu-ray player and it said that the disk was unrecognizable. I thought that just burning a regular DVD would play on anything. I wasn't burning HD, or Blu-Ray content, nor was I using those settings.

Do I actually need to download the HD/Blu-ray to have my player recognize a standard DVD? If I do use the plug-in will the DVD able to play on standard DVD players? Thanks for any help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 7:39 AM

Make sure you're creating a video DVD, not a data DVD. Toast can create both. If you're sure you're creating a video DVD, Roxio has tips here:

http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000012570-General-DVD -Playback-issues?&page=1&productSubCategory=Toast%2011&applicationSubCategory=To ast&productTopCategory=Roxio_Products&topicCategory=PU&keyWords=&sb=new&source=k ba

If you continue to have problems, you may be more likely to get help in Roxio's forums:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/forum/274-toast-11/

This forum (the one where you first posted; this may have been moved by the time you read this) is for questions about the Communities themselves.

Regards.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 7:39 AM in response to szeh

Make sure you're creating a video DVD, not a data DVD. Toast can create both. If you're sure you're creating a video DVD, Roxio has tips here:

http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000012570-General-DVD -Playback-issues?&page=1&productSubCategory=Toast%2011&applicationSubCategory=To ast&productTopCategory=Roxio_Products&topicCategory=PU&keyWords=&sb=new&source=k ba

If you continue to have problems, you may be more likely to get help in Roxio's forums:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/forum/274-toast-11/

This forum (the one where you first posted; this may have been moved by the time you read this) is for questions about the Communities themselves.

Regards.

Mar 17, 2014 8:14 AM in response to szeh

After I burned the DVD I ejected it and reinserted the DVD (Apple Superdrive). I started right up at the start menu like I created and it played very well. Same thing on my wife's PC laptop running on Vista. I did have to go to "My Computer" and click on the DVD to start it, but it played just like it should. I guess this disproves the DVD Data theory.

I don't remember seeing anything like a Video_TS folder. It just played like it should. I've been trying to get in touch with Roxio support. Can't log in online, toll free number connects to someone speaking German. I tried the e-mail approach and haven't heard back as of yet.

Any suggestions?

Mar 17, 2014 8:22 AM in response to szeh

Well if it played your menus and played with DVD Player then it is most likely a video DVD (though looking for the VIDEO_TS folder would prove it for sure)

Do you have access to another DVD player. DVD players can be finicky and I have had cases where a video DVD burned on a computer would play in one player but not another.

The player might also be sensitive the the DVD media. You might what to check the owners manual of the player to see if there is anything written about disks burned on a computer.

While waiting to hear from Roxio you might want to burn the test again, the disk might be marginal, or you could try a different brand.

Mar 17, 2014 10:10 AM in response to szeh

You don't need the extra plugin for DVDs. That's only required for burning Blu-ray video disks (Toast will burn Blu-ray data disks as is).

Is this how your screen looked when you started?

User uploaded file

In the above, I had "No Menus" selected. Which means there would be no splash screen of any kind. The movie will simply start playing.

Most important is what you selected at the upper right under Format. There is another choice for "High Definition DVD". If you chose that one, that would be the most likely reason it didn't work in your set top DVD player. That choice is to burn what is essentially a Blu-ray resolution video onto a DVD disk. So for an actual DVD video, the drop down must be on "DVD-Video".

As for "Quality", just put it on "Best". The software will then determine the highest bit rate settings possible that will still fit the final video on one disk.

Mar 18, 2014 4:43 AM in response to szeh

Thanks for all the help. I started the program last night and it prompted me for updates. Something it hadn't done before. I read throught the updates and it had a lot to do with Mavericks. I've read horror stories about updating Toast 11, but I thought at this point I had nothing to lose.

I updated the software and burned the test DVD. It now works! It must have been the updates because Toast 11 does not work right out of the box without updating when used with Mavericks OS X.

Again...thanks for the help Kurt, Frank and varjak paw.

Apr 22, 2014 6:02 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank, need to know if you can help me with something. I am new to Mac and need to get a DVD burned for work... I have Roxio Toast - Trial version at the moment...(as I'm tying, the thought hit me, this trial might be my problem)... the video files I created in iMovie and the only file I get it to produce/Share into is an MP4... the two files I have are 4.5 gb and will not play in a computer once they have been burned to the DVD. They will play in a DVDplayer, but I need it to work in both player and computer. I had this same issue on my PC and it was just an output file type issue... I can't figure out how to get these files into another video type so Roxio can create a disc that will play in a computer. Using a file converter isn't really an option as this is something I will continue to do... I don't want to start putting a bunch of freeware on the new Mac and messing it up...

thanks for you help if you can

Kim H

Apr 23, 2014 12:52 AM in response to kimsigns2

Hi

and will not play in a computer once they have been burned to the DVD. They will play in a DVDplayer, but I need it to work in both player and computer.

Use to be one or more of these

• BURN SPEED - Set it as low possibly (I use x2) = less burn errors

• BRAND of DVD used - MeMorex, NoName etc cheap media use to do like this (if burned at all) - I only use Verbatim

• DVD type used - DVD+/-RW (usually DO NOT WORK for Video-DVDs) - DVD+R are a newer format - I only use DVD-R as they play on more and even older DVD-players

• DL-DVDs usually more problems than SL-DVDs

• Free Space on Start-Up (Macintosh HD) - I never let this go less than 25Gb (4-5 times more if HD-material is used)

Yours Bengt W

Apr 23, 2014 6:30 AM in response to kimsigns2

You must have burned the MP4 videos to a data disk, and not as a video disk. Basically, you're lucking out that your player (most likely a Blu-ray player) can read a data disk and play back the MP4 files as raw video, rather than as a DVD written as a video disk.

To create a proper DVD video disk of your MP4 files, you need to use the DVD-Video drop down choice under the Video tab. Drag and drop your two MP4 videos into the big left hand window.

User uploaded file

Click the Customize button to setup the menu screen the way you want.

User uploaded file

If you leave the Number of Buttons on Automatic, it will create two menu options for the two MP4 videos you dropped into the left window of the first screen. Under the Encoding tab, just put it on Automatic, and the slider all the way to the right for best. The software will figure out the highest bit rate it can use to fit the two videos onto one DVD.

Be prepared to wait a while. All DVD video disks are MPEG2. So it's going to re-encode your MP4 videos down to MP2 (your originals will remain as is). When it's done, you'll have a correctly built DVD video that will work on both your computer and set top player.

Apr 23, 2014 6:41 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi

from original post:

and will not play in a computer once they have been burned to the DVD. They will play in a DVDplayer, but I need it to work in both player and computer.

If they play on standard DVD-players - then You've made - Video-DVDs

If they only plays on Computers - then most probably You've made Data-DVDs

from your post I read - they will play in a DVDplayer ==> Video-DVD

then Burn Speed, DVD Brand use to be the most common origin to why they do not play on Your Computer.

Yours Bengt W

Apr 23, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

You can burn a video file onto a data DVD and still have it play on a set top player, as long as that player supports reading data disks. Which almost all newer DVD and Blu-ray players do. Virtually all of them will play back static JPEG images on a data disk as a slide show and common video formats as is. But you do have to manually select them in a separate menu.

The reason that same disk may not play back in OS X is that it is an MP4 video. QuickTime X should be able to play it back, but you often see posts here that a user can't get an MP4 video to play back without the use of third party software. The free VLC Player is an excellent choice for that.

So the type of disk is very unlikely to have anything to do with the problem.

Apr 23, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks everybody,

The disc I used is a DVD+R not a data disc.

I need it to play in a PC as the school system doesn't have MAC's at all.

(not sure if that makes any difference), it did play in the MAC I believe...

but not my PC at school...

The DVD player I'm using is an older one... literally 10 years old.

I never had a problem with the file output when I made them through

Windows DVD Maker or Power Director ...

Kim H

Apr 23, 2014 1:02 PM in response to kimsigns2

A DVD+R is a type of disk. There's all kinds of disks:

CD: -R, -RW

DVD: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

BD: -R, -RE

Data or video disk refer to how it's written, not the disk type itself.

A data disk is if you write files and folders to the disk like any other media for a computer. It then behaves the same as a hard drive, floppy disk, etc. Except that it's read only when finished. Otherwise it behaves the same as any other disk with files and folders on it. Just like the CD or DVD installer disks your software comes on. They don't play in a video player, then open on your computer and you can see all of the files and such on the disk. The data.

A video disk is written specifically to be used for video. It is treated differently from a data disk by both a video set top player, and your computer. Put any DVD movie you've purchased into your computer the OS automatically recognizes it as a video. Not a data disk of files and folders.

Created correctly as a video disk, it doesn't matter what type of computers your school has.

Jun 12, 2014 6:39 AM in response to szeh

Just a brief note, and experience sharing. Compatibility with DVD players can be attributed to the type (DVD-r or DVD+ r) of DVD you use. There are known issues with manufacturers which can allow and not allow the DVD or cd player to read.

The -r type I have found to be more universal on most players, while the +r isn't as compatible. I may be reverse here, but I believe to correct. Another thing, is read up on media manufacturers, and this includes DVD burning hardware, about some media will not work very cooperatively with some of the hardware! Usually the media type can be a problem. Sony, maxwell, verbatim, ritek, too many more. Once you find success stick with it. And verbatim has worked well with me, however I have heard issues with verbatim as well.

This is also true for cd-r and cd+r, the better compatibility has been -r there too. Don't forget you can always burn a VCD in a pinch, but quality can suffer. Anyway, just wanted to help those who are trying DVD burning for the first time. Good luck, and happy toasting.... "It's better with butter...." marlon Brando.. Anyone recall which movie? Lol

Jun 12, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Lr22 straight shooter

Good points. The +R disks never really caught on, though I haven't had any trouble with the few I've used. Personally though, I stick the the -R disks. I can't even remember the last time I burned a CD, DVD or Blu-ray coaster.

Most important, as you note, is the quality of the disks themselves. Almost without fail, the cheaper they are, the more likely you will have problems with them. Stick to brands with much higher quality and consistency ratings such as Sony, Verbatim, Imation, etc.

I won't touch any disks with a name on it I've never heard of. Not just because I don't recognize it, but they are also always in the price range of half, to sometimes less than half the cost of the name brand disks. I've tried them on and off over the years to save some money. They've always been a lesson in what disks NOT to buy.

Burning a DVD in Toast 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.