Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express / WLAN / DHCP-NAT / Routingproblem

User uploaded file

Here my Networkplan how it workds, but i have routing problems.

The AirportExpress have a fixe IP Adress 10.x.x.15 to the intranet (connected on the WAN Port).

The Wireless is DHCP with NAT for a DMZ (192.168.1.2 till 30), the wireless printer has a fix reserved IP 192.168.1.31.

All WLAN devices work perfect with internet and printer.

My Problem is, that in the LAN is working a windows PC (Windows7). With this PC i can connect via Apple AirportTool to the Airport Express, but i cant connect to the printer. No ping is working and also not to find under bonjour. Ping to the AirportExpress Intranetadress (10.x.x.15) is also not a problem.

How i can solve it to can use the wirelessprinter also on the Windows PC ? What i do wrong ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 7:38 AM

9 replies

Mar 22, 2014 8:45 AM in response to Loeschl

Hi Loeschl, I am not so sure I fully understand your LAN setup.. 😕

Why not all devices on the same class netowrk? I think it would make your life a lot easier.

I have not been feedling with this stuff for a very long time but I believe mixing a A class network (your Intranet) with C class (your Wireless) is certainly one if not THE reason for issues.

Why not simply connect the Airport express to your modem using the WAN port and connecting the rest of your network to it? The AAX built-in DHCP server would do the job for you of dealing with the right IP numbers.

If you really wont to know which unit uses which IP number, you can configure the AAX in order to do so.

What software are you using to configure your AAX? You should use AirPort Utility 5.6.1 as version 6.x is useless.

If on Mavericks, you can use the AirPort Utility 5.6.1 launcher to make it work.

Cheers

/P

Mar 25, 2014 3:07 AM in response to Loeschl

The Problem is, that my hidden WLAN should be secure and outside from the Intranet (10.x.x.x). The second point is, that the Intranet work only with IP Numbers. Only my WLAN use DHCP (exlcude the printer with a fix IP).

With all other WLAN Routers (Linksys DD-Wrt) i dont have problems to configure the route. But i dont see such option into the Airport Express.

Of course i use the Apple Airport Utility but the version 6.3.2 (632.3). So i should try it with the older version ?

Mar 25, 2014 3:27 AM in response to Loeschl

You cannot ping through the NAT router..

The express is a NAT router, and it cannot access it.

You cannot DMZ more than one IP address. It is not going to work to have mulitple IP in DMZ.

If it did work you would reduce the security of your WLAN to nothing.. you cannot hide a printer behind the NAT and then expect a computer on the LAN to print to it. It is not going to happen.

Get the computer a secondary IP on the 192.168.x.x network so it can then talk to the printer.

Mar 25, 2014 3:32 AM in response to Loeschl

I did try and test it with a open WLAN, only my target would be then to hide it.

So its a limitation of the Aiport Express. I must accept it. Maybe IPV6 should be the solution when the Aiport Express will be the IPV6 DHCP. Couse in the Intranet is IPV6 deaktivated.

I must work on the latest MacOS Betasystem as Developer in my Office and have no choice.

Airport Express / WLAN / DHCP-NAT / Routingproblem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.