Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD's & Defragmentation

Hello.

I want to buy a new MacBook Air 13 inch.

It will be my first Apple computer with an SSD (my current model was a late 2010 MacBook with an HDD & 2 Gbs RAM!).

Naturally, it used to require a defragmentation once in awhile, but, recently I read in a comoputer's magazine, that by defragmenting an SSD, the user tends to damage it. Is this true? And if so, what's the best option, when dealing with an SSD?

To degragment or to not degragment... that's the question...

Thanks for any information you may provide me with.

All the best.

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 8:34 AM

First, the Mac operating system file management necessitates no user interaction to make deframentation necessary.. With minor exceptions.

Secondly, yes, if it were performed routinely you would be putting a measure of "wear" and degradation on the finite write cycles of an SSD. Probably not much to be really bothered by, but again it is not even needed on a system managed by OS X.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 8:34 AM in response to JMPC

First, the Mac operating system file management necessitates no user interaction to make deframentation necessary.. With minor exceptions.

Secondly, yes, if it were performed routinely you would be putting a measure of "wear" and degradation on the finite write cycles of an SSD. Probably not much to be really bothered by, but again it is not even needed on a system managed by OS X.

Mar 17, 2014 8:34 AM in response to SP Forsythe

Hello SP Forsythe,

Thanks for answering my question.

Most people always todl me that. That a OS X doesn't require to much degragmentation...

I wonder what cause it to happen? Or better, why it happened so many times to me...

In any case, I'm happy to know that an SSD's more reliable than a HDD.

Thank you again.

All the best.

Mar 17, 2014 8:40 AM in response to JMPC

I think that SSD's are coming along certainly. It was just a few years ago that a significant number of SSD's did exhibit reliability issues. but it has certainly subsided quite a bit.

I have never "defragged" a Mac, with the possible exception of reinstalling from scratch a few times. But doing so gave me no indication that fragmentation was contributing any degradation to the system. The current SSD equipped Mac I am using now has been "untouched" in that regard for closing on two and ahalf years of daily use. I notice absolutely nothing that would even inspire me to contemplate a defragmentation procedure.

Mar 17, 2014 1:04 PM in response to JMPC

JMPC wrote:

Naturally, it used to require a defragmentation once in awhile, but, recently I read in a comoputer's magazine, that by defragmenting an SSD, the user tends to damage it. Is this true? And if so, what's the best option, when dealing with an SSD?

You DONT defrag it.

Best option? absolutely nothing is the answer.

JMPC wrote:

In any case, I'm happy to know that an SSD's more reliable than a HDD.

Thats not the case at ALL, theyre not fragile to bumps and drops like a conventional HD is......

other than that in the "reliable" dept, all bets are off.

SSD's & Defragmentation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.