Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't seem to access the amp designer in GarageBand 10.0.3

I'm using GarageBand 10.0.3. According to the help, I should be able to use the amp designer with any track, whether it's for a real or virtual intrument, but I can't seem to acces it. The istructions say to click the Smart Controls button, then click the Amp designer button on the Smart controls menu bar, but I can't find the Smart controls menu bar. Can somene assist?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 8:52 AM

10 replies

Mar 18, 2014 11:24 AM in response to léonie

Sorry, it is 10.0.1. I misread it before.

Not it's not an electric guitar track, but the help implies you;re supposed to be able to use it on any track, whether it be for a real of virtual instrument.

But the thing is, all I want to do is add reverb. In the earlier version of GarageBand, there was a master reverb control for any track to created that would let you do that. I find it hard to believe there's no analogy to that in this version becaue that would mean they removed some functionality. Besides, reverb is a fairly standard effect that everybody wants to use to keep recordings from sounding "dead." Seems like there ought to be some fairly simple way of adding it.

Mar 19, 2014 10:07 AM in response to GrannySmithDave

About the Amp Designer

• The Amp Designer is one of Logic's internal Audio FX Plugins.
  • This Amp Designer can be loaded onto an Audio Track In GarageBand
  • If you use the Guitar icon in the New Track Dialog when creating an Audio Track, then the Amp Designer is automatically loaded and you can open the Plugin window with the Amp Button in the Smart Controls Window.
  • If you use the Microphone icon in the New Track Dialog when creating an Audio Track, then the Amp Button will be grayed out in the Smart Controls Window for that Track because the Amp Designer hasn’t been loaded yet.
  • You cannot load an Amp Designer individually onto an Audio Track. You have to load one of the “Electric Guitar and Bass’ Patches from the Library. These Patches will include the Amp Designer and you can open its Plugin Window with the Amp Button and edit all of its Parameters.
  • That Amp Button is NOT available in the Smart Controls Window for a MIDI Track (or Drummer Track)
  • In Logic you can load the Amp Designer as an Audio FX Plugin to a MIDI Track. Technically you can save that Track in Logic as a Patch and open it in GarageBand. That MIDI Track in GarageBand would then have the Amp Designer loaded but you have only access to some of its controls throughout the Smart Control Window but not to the full Amp Designer Plugin Window.

About Reverb

• Most Tracks in GarageBand have some sort of Reverb Control in the Smart Controls Window. This is very limited because you can control only the amount but not the Reverb parameters themselves,
  • If you use the Amp Designer, open the Plugin Window and you will see a Reverb Control. Move the Mouse Pointer over the Label “Reverb” (changes to a popup button). There you can select from different reverb models.
  • Because you cannot access or load any of the internal (Logic) reverbs directly, your only option is to use (buy) a third-party Reverb AU-Plugin that you can open in its separate window and adjust the Reverb parameter.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 12, 2014 6:13 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Edgar,

I tried using a Guitar "patch" and cannot get the UI to show me the amp designer. Can you provide click by click instructions on how to do this if it's supported? Like GSDave said, I just want to reverb (and other basic effects) to "software instrument" tracks. In previous GB, you could chain a bunch of effects on ANY track. Why would Apple remove this?

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

-jg

Jul 13, 2014 12:32 AM in response to jg867

jg867 wrote:

Edgar,

I tried using a Guitar "patch" and cannot get the UI to show me the amp designer.

What Patch did load?

There are a few things you need to be aware of:

Audio Track vs MIDI Track

Are you sure you have an Audio Track selected (the one that records blue or purple Audio Region) and not a MIDI Track (the one that records green MIDI Regions).

Library Window

The Library Window displays different Patches depending what type of Track is selected (MIDI Track, Audio Track, Drummer Track, Master Track). Select different Tracks in the Tracks Window and watch how the content of the Library Window changes.

You have to have an Audio Track (the Mic icon or Guitar icon) selected and then you you will see the "Electric Guitar and Bass" Category in the first column of the Library. After you select any of those Patches, you will see the Amp Button in the Smart Controls window.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 13, 2014 12:42 AM in response to jg867

jg867 wrote:

I am shocked that I can't add basic reverb to MIDI tracks

In case the loaded Patch doesn't have a Reverb parameter in the Smart Controls, you can still add a Reverb Audio FX Plugin as an Audio Unit (AU). You can install third-party Plugins or use the built-in Apple AU Plugins.

Here is a screenshot when the AUMatrixReverbe is loaded

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

Can't seem to access the amp designer in GarageBand 10.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.