Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen MacBook Pro

Looking for a stolen MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), Looking for stolen Macbook

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 4:27 AM

when my mac is stolen can i lock my computer and still be able to track it when they turn it on

6 replies

Oct 17, 2014 2:14 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Same happened to me a week ago. I got held up at gunpoint, sustained a stab wound and all in the name of stealing what I had in my backpack. The thing that gets me though, I had Find my Mac software enabled, but it is kinda pointless. Unlike your iPhone.

The problem here is, that a laptop isn't always online, like say, my iPhone. After I was mugged by the three guys, I was able to track my phone. But the muggers split up and the one I was able to locate ended up shooting at a cop and he was killed. Got my iPhone back, but my MacBook is still MIA. And until one of these guys make a mistake of opening it up close to an open WiFi (which is highly unlikely, as I live in South Africa, so open Wifi is as scarce as chicken teeth) I will never be able to locate it or my iPad.

The thing that I was thinking over, seeing as each of apples products is registered to an icloud account, wont they be able if said MacBook was wiped clean and then someone else tried to open an account and register said device?

I don't know, Find my Mac is pretty pointless on a machine that has no built in data connection to the outside world.

Stolen MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.