Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7.1 - Wallpaper dark at top: How do I disable this effect?

Upgraded to IOS 7.1 (Iphone 4). After the upgrade was complete and I changed my wallpaper, I noticed that the system is darkening the top of my wallpapers. I do not like it and want to turn this "feature" off.

I have played with the a few different settings, but I do not see how to disable it. I've seen several other posts on about this issue but no resolution.

PS: Undocumented features are called bugs.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:20 PM

I been having the same issue. And unfortunatlely I was told by apple support team that it i a feature of the new iOS. BUT it's a feature we dont want!! So please my friends I urge you all to give negative feedback on this issue and demand that they fix this issue ASAP.

20 replies

Mar 19, 2014 10:22 AM in response to AngryPoster

I have the same problem on a few of my wallpapers. Out of like 75 or so wallpapers on my phone (ones ive uploaded myself, not apple ones) 2-3 or so of them have this weird darkened area on the top 1/2 of the images. I understand that we cannot disable it, but honestly believe it's a bug that should be fixed. It's so maddening that this only happens on some wallpapers and not all of them, which i guess is a good thing, but it's still annoying. I'd love to know what's causing this? Hope they fix it soon.

Mar 23, 2014 7:03 AM in response to Megaemperor

Megaemperor - i'm not calling you a liar, but i am going to say that i don't believe your comment. I believe this is what you were told, BUT i don't believe Apple. A FEATURE is something that happens consistantely all the time or in this case on EVERY wallpaper. From my experieces at least it only happens on like 2-3 of my 77 or so wallpapers. Thus i don't believe it's a feature, but a BUG.

Mar 24, 2014 11:20 PM in response to cp9102

It is a feature. They have an algorith that determines what background needs to be darkened. And it is 100% constant. Every background you set will always have the same result when you set it as a background for the second time.

Generally it darkens light backgrounds more and darker backgrounds less and when you resize the background and move it around the opacidy of the effect changes.

But even still it is 100% constant.

I guess their idea behind it was to make the app icon texts more easily readable against white backgrounds but i think it is a very bad feature that doesn't do any good because i would rather have the freedom to set whatever background i want to use and make the decision myself to change to a darker background if i can't see the text on the app icons.

And i think it is silly to ruin everybody's backgrounds because some user has complained he can't see a text of an app.. (Just like he needs the text to find he's/her's facebook icon.

I think it only does harm. I don't see the "bright" side of it.

Mar 25, 2014 6:47 AM in response to EUPHONIA

Im going to again have to DISAGREE. This is NOT a feature. I have plenty of custom wallpapers on my phone that are VERY light in color and my phone does not add this stupid darkened portion to the tops of them at all. As stated several times, this 1/3 to 1/2 darkened top portion of the screen ONLY happens on around 2-3 of my 77 or so wallpapers. Of those 77, i have several that are very "light" colored (light grayish to white) and i don't have the problem with them. I still say it's a BUG.

Jun 15, 2014 10:02 AM in response to AngryPoster

I agree with Euphonia. This gradient can't be disable. I did a testing with various bright and dark wallpaper. It basically detects the brightness/darkness level of the wallpaper and adjust the gradient opacity accordingly.

My bad for not checking the update versions (if not I wouldn't have updated it) however I would say this gradient is really an issue. Everytime I am in the homescreen I see the wallpaper, it can't be avoided. Regardless whether its a bug or its a feature, I would still suggest to be either an option to on/off it or just remove it.

Jul 25, 2014 9:05 AM in response to cp9102

just the opposite for me. i have well over 70 wallpapers and every single one of them so far has this stupid shadow effect ruining them all. every day is a rainy day on my iphone. the complete lack of options and customization was pushing me away and this one is an over the top dumb design decision when considering it cant be disabled. hey Apple, how about getting rid of the amature head of design and hiring a pro? i could do better.

IOS 7.1 - Wallpaper dark at top: How do I disable this effect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.