Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound on Interactive Keynote Widget?

OBJECTIVE: I am trying to imbed an interactive Keynote Widget into an iBook with short audio clips that play after transitions between slides. The Keynote presentation consists of 8 slides that generally consist of an image, a couple of buttons (shapes with associated links to specific slides), a text box or two, and some have inserted audio .m4a files (less than 5 seconds in length). The audio objects are set to 'start after transition'. The overall presentation is set as a 'Links only' presentation type.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

PROBLEM: After testing succesfully in Keynote, I saved the presentation, dragged it into iBooks author, and previewed it in iBooks (running on OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks). The widget works splendidly... except the sound. Audio objects aren't activated by transitions. No sound at all out of the Keynote Widget.

WHAT I'VE TRIED: I have checked that sound is working right on my Mac. In fact, Audio widgets on the next page of the same iBook work fine. I changed the audio files in the keynote presentation with a different one that was already working in my iBook as an audio widget. I have tried putting the keynote presentation into a untouched standard Apple template. No sound at all from the Keynote Widget. I also looked for solutions in online help files, Apple's Developer Forums for iBooks Author, and here in this section of the Apple Support Communities. I only found two similar questions/problems neither with a posted resolution (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5119988?answerId=22443281022#22443281022 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5160142).

TECH SPECS:

iBooks version 1.0.1

iBooks Author version 2.1.1

Keynote version 6.1

OSX version 10.9.2

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Or is it an inherent limitation in the program? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 10:32 AM

20 replies

Mar 18, 2014 4:14 PM in response to ajwells

Could someone can tell me if sound objects work in their Keynote widgets? That would really help me determine if I'm doing something wrong, or if I have run into a bug or inherent limitation with iBooks Author.

Apple seems to indicate that some audio should work in the Keynote widget (iBooks Author: About the Keynote widget - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5067). The mentioned support file indicates that just recorded narration does not work.

Keynote files can contain media—such as images, movies, and audio—but don’t use a Keynote file just to add media to your book. Instead, use a Media widget or drag media directly to a book page.

Mar 19, 2014 8:45 PM in response to gadgetgurl42

Tried it. The Media widget won't take the keynote presentation. iBooks Author just creates a new Keynote widget on top of the blank Media widget. And of course, the sound builds in the keynote widget still dont work when I preview the book.

Thanks any way! At least you helped me eliminate a possibility.

Have you ever used a keynote widget with sound yourself? If someone else has tries it with success then it may be worth struggling with this. If it doesn't work for others, then maybe it is a bug / limitation of the iBooks Author app, (or Mavericks iBook app).

Mar 19, 2014 10:05 PM in response to gadgetgurl42

Maybe sound files in keynote widgets aren't that popular. Especially considering that this thread has thus far only drawn 1 person who tried to help.

I am trying to use an interactive Keynote widget as a way to improve the efectiveness of a book to teach English as a second language, so sound is critical to the success. Thanks again!

Mar 20, 2014 9:54 PM in response to vinnyvg

Thanks vinnyvg for offering the suggestion! I appreciate your input, especially since I've seen you have been able to help a lot of others on here.

I'm sure that could be an option as I am succesfully using media widgets elswhere in the book. Unfortunately that doesn't allow me to do what I want to accomplish since the keynote widget is the interactive type: The user clicks on a button to go to the next slide which plays a new sound and gives new choices. It is basicly a Multi-Media quiz where the student hears the vocabulary and sees the image and then decides if it is correctly pronounced. A visible cue shows if his answer was correct, it jumps to the next slide, and he hears the next sound together with the image.

The whole thing works marvelously in the Keynote Widget, except the sound. I would be inclined to think it is an inherent limitation in the keynote widget and just move on to some other strategy, but Apple's iWork Author documentation seems to indicate sound files should play in the keynote widget, just not recorded narration

(iBooks Author: About the Keynote widget - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5067).

I wish one other person could tell me, "yes, i have sound in a keynote widget" or "no, it won't work for me either" so that I will know if the problem is with me or my system, or if it is an inherent problem with the app. Then I would know whether to just ditch the idea or not.

Mar 25, 2014 9:39 AM in response to BodhiZai

Thanks Kathy for your input.

A couple of questions for you that may help us see if this is an inherent flaw, or a resolvable issue:

Is the sound in your keynote widget from sound objects (like the one shown below)?

User uploaded file

Or is the sound in your keynote widget recorded narration (made using the interface shown below)?

User uploaded file

Also if the sound comes from sound objects, what is the format of the audio source file used in keynote (and the other audio files you are using in your iBook)? MP3, M4A, OGG, etc?

Knowing the answer to these questions may help either or both of us.

Mar 25, 2014 1:05 PM in response to ajwells

Hi,

It's recorded narration, recorded in key note in the keynote widget.

The other audio files, were originally recorded in garage band as m4a files, but I was told on contacting Apple I need to convert them to mp4 files for i books, I did this but they didn't work either. Just got another email from apple saying they should be .m4p. I've never heard of this type of file but on looking it up, it is a different file format to mp4. So I guess I'm going to have to go through all the audio files again and assign them M4p! Hopefully this will work.

Hope you have more luck than me.

Kathy

Mar 25, 2014 1:40 PM in response to BodhiZai

That being the case, Apple has stated that recorded narration will not work in the keynote widget (see iBooks Author: About the Keynote widget - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5067).

Self-Playing and Recorded presentations

Self-Playing presentations and Recorded presentations with voiceover narration may not work as expected. Readers will be able to view and manually advance your presentation, but recorded narration and timings won’t be available.

The same article seems to indicate that some audio files should work in the widget, evidently as sound objects.

Keynote files can contain media—such as images, movies, and audio—but don’t use a Keynote file just to add media to your book.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work yet though. If we can figure out how to get sound objects to work you could still put the audio in your widget, just break it up into a seperate sound file for each slide, and advance to next slide on click. Someone would have to figure out how to get the sound objects to play like they should though...

With regard to the other audio files: That is weird that Apple told you to use .m4p format for audio. Their online documentation says to use m4a. The following is an excerpt from iBooks Author: supported file formats - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2838.

Video and audio files: M4V, M4A

Note: For the Media widget, you can add a video file or an audio file (in a format QuickTime supports) to your book. You can convert other types of files using iMovie, QuickTime Player, or Compressor. For the HTML widget, the suggested file formats are MP4 video files and M4A audio files.

Either the tech who emailed you saying to use .m4p is mixed up, or their online documentation is wrong.

Please let us know if changing to m4p works for you. That may help others out.

Mar 25, 2014 1:39 PM in response to ajwells

Hi,

The m4a definately don't work. They are aware of it and are supposed to be fixing it

In meantime this is what I was told to do.

In regards to the audio, please take the following steps.

1. Make sure audio files in your book follow our specifications. Audio files must be AAC and stereo. These files should also end in .m4a.

2. Open the book’s .iba in iBooks Author.

3. Delete audio files ending in .m4a. Next, click Save and then click Close from the File menu.

4. Locate the original audio files on your computer and then change the file extension from .m4a to .m4p.

5. Open the book’s .iba in iBooks Author again.

6. Add audio files ending in .m4p. Next, click Save and then click Publish from the File menu.

as an error and say are working on it but not sure when fixed.

I'm getting quite frustrated as the last tech said mp4. It took me ages to change them all, but they def don't work. Just converting to M4p now. Will let you know how they go.

Kathy

No Sound on Interactive Keynote Widget?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.