Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

evry time I update I lose the ability to sync. I can't figure out how to add songs. The directions are incorrect. Please help. Thanks, Mickeyfin1

every time I update my ipod I lose the settings. I can't upload new songs b/c the sync button is off. In follwed diections to automatically sync but the choices to do so were not there under the "music" heading. Please help! I am pretty tired of never ending troubles.thanks, Mickeyfin1

iPod shuffle, Windows XP, 80gb

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 9:52 AM

1 reply

Mar 17, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Mickeyfin1

What do you mean by "update my ipod"? A shuffle should not need any software update.

This document shows the four types of shuffles and methods to load content.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1719

If it is the current 4th gen (or 3rd gen) shuffle, here's one convenient way to load songs on a shuffle, and maintain its list of songs going forward.

If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, underView, select Show Sidebar. When connected, the shuffle appears in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Select the shuffle there. To the right, the shuffle's Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, where it says Summary, click Music to the right of Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs to the shuffle.

Before you set up that Music screen, create a new playlist in your iTunes library, and put all of the songs you want on the shuffle on that playlist. (Or you can use an existing playlist.) Back on the shuffle's Music screen in iTunes, check the checkbox for Sync Music. Choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, find that playlist under Playlists and select (checkmark) it. You can select other items on those lists if desired.

When you click Apply, the songs in your selection(s) sync to the shuffle. Going forward, to update the shuffle's songs, just update that playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The shuffle does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

(If your shuffle is the older 1st or 2nd gen model, please post back. It works differently.)

evry time I update I lose the ability to sync. I can't figure out how to add songs. The directions are incorrect. Please help. Thanks, Mickeyfin1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.