Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear text tones on my iPhone 5s

Can't hear text tones on my iPhone 5s, it only vibrates. The side switch is definitely not on mute and the volume is up as I can hear the phone ringtones. Any suggestions?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 10:38 AM

20 replies

Mar 21, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Sdoly

I have the same problem. It happens ONLY when the phone is LOCKED/SLEEP. For instance when iphone is in use then I will receive the text alert (which is useless cause i am already looking at the screen) but when my phone autolock/sleep it does not ring for text, only for voicecalls. I need to know when people are texting me when I AM NOT LOOKING AT MY PHONE. :-(

Aug 4, 2014 11:19 AM in response to Sdoly

The same thing happened to me and it was the do not disturb feature that was turned on by mistake.

Swipe your phone from bottom to top direction.

On the top you will see 5 icons, an airplane, three horizontal bars, the bluetooth icon, a moon, and a lock icon.

The moon icon will show up highlighted. Click on it and it will shut off.

Hope that works.

Nov 5, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Sdoly

I was very frustrated a while ago, because of never being alerted when my daughter's texts came in. Also, they always came in with a moon icon. Somehow, I found out that the moon icon means the texts from her were muted.

I think I changed that by going into Contacts, finding her, clicking edit, and choosing an alert.

Is this happening with everyone, or specific people? It could be that your phone got set on silence for texts, somehow (maybe an update messed with my settings?). I have no idea how that happened with my daughter, but it was blissful to figure out how to fix it.

Maybe something like that is happening with your phone.

Can't hear text tones on my iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.