Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes thinks daughter's Shuffle is my iPad

I've been trying to charge and put music onto my daughter's 4th-gen iPod Shuffle by connecting to my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.2. Regardless of which USB port I use (any one of three), iTunes detects the shuffle as my iPad -- displays my iPad device name, serial number, usage, etc. Interestingly, iTunes detects that a device is plugged in, even though the Shuffle does not appear to be charged (light does not come on when connected or disconnected from computer). We have updated iTunes and the OS several times since last attempting this. I've been through all the steps in the Shuffle Troubleshooting Assistant. Any ideas on how to fix this?

iPod shuffle, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 11:18 AM

1 reply

Mar 17, 2014 2:52 PM in response to tsheely67

That seems really odd. Are you sure it is actually seeing the shuffle as the iPad? I ask, because iPads can sync using the WiFi (wireless) connection, so it may appear in iTunes as a device, before you connect the shuffle.

In iTunes, if the sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. Connected Apple devices should appear under DEVICES. With nothing connected to USB, does the iPad appear in the sidebar, under DEVICES?

For the shuffle, if this is the first time you are trying to connect it to your Mac, make sure the plug on the docking cable is fully inserted into the shuffle's headphones jack, as shown in this document

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3572

iTunes thinks daughter's Shuffle is my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.