Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I turn off the Personal Hotspot USB default to automatically connect when I plug it in to my computer?

It is inconvenient to turn off hotspot every time I connect to one of my computers, and, worse, if I forget to turn it off I am using cellular data when I don't need to because it seems as if the USB connected iPhone connection "trumps" the WiFi connection my computer has.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1, Personal Hotspot

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 10:52 AM

Found a solution. On your Mac, open System Preferences, open Network, from the list of connections on the left just delete your iPhone USB as a connection by selecting it and clicking the minus button. This still allows you to connect via bluetooth but does not automatically create a hotspot when plugging in to charge.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 10:52 AM in response to MyCache

Found a solution. On your Mac, open System Preferences, open Network, from the list of connections on the left just delete your iPhone USB as a connection by selecting it and clicking the minus button. This still allows you to connect via bluetooth but does not automatically create a hotspot when plugging in to charge.

Can I turn off the Personal Hotspot USB default to automatically connect when I plug it in to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.