Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I organize RAW files manually?

I already asked a question about iPhoto '08 modifying vertical images... but these days I shoot more RAW, and I believe iPhoto creates multiple jpg versions of each RAW image for quick and properly rotated previewing and for thumbnails.

To help save disk space, should I just start organizing my RAW files manually? It's not that hard to do, keeping dated folders (like iPhoto does), I'm a fairly patient type, and I don't shoot astronomical numbers of photographs.

But I'm willing to do almost anything to free up disk space.

I do backup everything with Time Machine and sometimes burn extra CDs. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 2:03 PM

Your choice - but it will not save disk space

When you import an image into iPhoto by default and extremely strongly recommended makes a bit for bit copy of the original image and a JPEG priview of the image plus a small thumbnail - if you convert the RAW prior to importing then you increase the disk requirements because you have the original RAW image outside of iPhoto and the converted (probably) JPEG original in iPhoto plus the preview and thumbnail

LN

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 2:03 PM in response to keraunoscopia

Your choice - but it will not save disk space

When you import an image into iPhoto by default and extremely strongly recommended makes a bit for bit copy of the original image and a JPEG priview of the image plus a small thumbnail - if you convert the RAW prior to importing then you increase the disk requirements because you have the original RAW image outside of iPhoto and the converted (probably) JPEG original in iPhoto plus the preview and thumbnail

LN

Mar 17, 2014 2:06 PM in response to keraunoscopia

No. It will save exactly no disk space.

When you import a Raw iPhoto copies it to the Library - that's the original - and makes a jpeg preview. NO matter what app you use you will always have an original and some sort of processed version if you're using a non-destructive workflow. You might, if you don't some any kind of photo manager, save on a 250kb thumbnail. That's pretty insignificant.

If you go for a destructive workflow then it's hard to see an advantage in shooting raw, but it will use less space.

If space is an issue don't try "free up space", get more. Hard Drives are inexpensive - quite massive ones, up to a terrabyte and more now. Sooner or later - whichever system you choose - you're going to use up the space unless you stop taking photographs.

You can run an iPhoto Library from an external. And an iTunes one too.

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Should I organize RAW files manually?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.