Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing folder start up...another one

I have tried all the suggestions below but interestingly resetting PRAM makes no difference, and holding the option key doesnt bring up disc options just leaves a white screen with a cursor.

This has happened twice now about 4 weeks apart and on both occaisions I have gone to bed frustrated with it only to find that next morning the option key works , I select the disc and everything is fine.I have since run the disc utiity check and runs fine.

When its failing I have left off for 30 mins or so but it still fails - it needs a night sleep !!! Is this a heating problem or somewhere I read there is an internal battery that can need replacement, or is it just the hard disc starting to fail ???

Its an Imac 24 Early 2008 and I have recently upgraded to Maverick but I dont think thats relavent.

Any thoughts ???

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 2:10 PM

5 replies

Mar 17, 2014 2:22 PM in response to dickeve

Wired or wireless keyboard?

The process for using keyboard startup shortcuts can be slightly different for each type.

With a wired keyboard, you can hold down the startup shortcut keys before you restart your Mac.

But with a wireless keyboard you have to wait until after the startup sond occurs, and be quick enough to get the keys pressed before the boot process is much further along.

Flashing folder start up...another one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.